Friday, December 22, 2006

Wasn't That A Party...

My wife and I were invited over to one our neighbor's house for a little Christmas get together this evening. I haven't felt so out of place in a *long* time. Normally I pride myself with being able to blend in at any event. I have gone to gatherings in simple country homes and I have sipped champaign with the well off, but tonight, well I just could not pull it off. Maybe I am getting to old to hang with the drinkers or maybe I just cannot stand being around "Dallas women" (high maintenance gals who have a very high opinion of themselves). Whatever it is, this party had it. Had a certain person not shown up when he did (with his girlfriend), my wife and I would have left after 30 minutes.

When we got there, there was a group of 6 or so people chatting together, 3 "Dallas women" and their husbands who paid attention to each other and no one else. I counted 3 other couples who were pretty much ignored. Shortly after we arrived the 3 couples started doing shots of tequila. It was good tequila, but still, it was tequila. After the tequila was gone, they started drinking Jagermeister. I was just imagining how sick some of those people were going to be later.

My wife and I kept to ourselves until Richard and his girlfriend arrived. We chatted with them for a while but it was evident that we were not in our element. Somewhere around 9:30, we said our goodbyes and walked home. G'night.

No comments: