Friday, December 22, 2006

It Is Beginning To Look A Little Like Christmas...

It is getting cooler and drier, but no snow. That is asking a bit too much from north central Texas. I miss snow...I know it can be a pain at times but snow does two things that really get my spirits up. 1) I brightens things up. 2) It acts like a sound barrier to keep the noise down.

Work has slowed a bit (and this is good, since I am a one man show for Canada, US, Mexico, Central, and South America) and I have been able to work a bit from home (a few hours yesterday and some today) and if all goes well, I should have a quiet (albeit event filled) Christmas weekend.

My truck is in the shop and the work is underway. I called them and they told me the total on the vandalism and theft (the theft being the smallest part) was just over $1,100, with my part bing $250 (deductible). The truck has a value of about $5,000. Sad. The original estimated completion date was January 3, 2007 but the manager told me that it looks like early next week (Tuesday or Wednesday) is more likely. Yippee!

My wife took me to work yesterday since she also had to work. I did some from home until she was ready to leave then I went in to complete my day. She normally does not work a full 8 hours, so it worked out. We got off work and deposited her paycheck as well as the insurance check so that money would be there when we pay for the repairs. After that we headed home to let the dogs out and feed them. I checked the mail (junk) and then we went to a local Mexican restaurant for some Tex-Mex goodness. The dinner was tasty but I ate just a tad too much (my appetite is slowly shrinking...this is a good thing) so I had a mildly upset stomach. I did not tell my wife because she needed/wanted to do some shopping and I did not want to slow her down.

We hit up Big Lots for a couple of things we needed at the house (candy, gift boxes) then to Target to get a riding toy for a child in our church who really could use it. The family is a big one and his salary only goes so far. There are 11 of them in the family.

We came home and after walking the dogs with my wife, I brushed my teeth and was in bed by 9:00 PM. For some reason, I was really tired. A woke up once at midnight, got a drink of green tea (really, just a mouthful), and went back to bed until the alarm went off at 5 AM. Since my wife needed the van this morning, I logged in and took care of a few things from home.

This weekend should be rather event filled. We have a wedding reception to go to Saturday night (plus I will have my normal chores to do), two services on Sunday at church (of which I will be actively participating in the evening one), Monday I can relax, but I am not sure if we are doing anything or not. I this is the first year in several that we have not been anywhere. It is possible that we will meet with other transplants or orphans but that has not been decided. Being by ourselves this year is gonna be odd. No son (He is in Kuwait) and no family (we are not traveling) to occupy us. I guess we may do what I used to do when I was single...go to the movies!

No comments: