Saturday, December 09, 2006

Oh What A NIght...And Morning!

I left work at 4:00 PM (damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead) and made it to the Japanese restaurant in pretty good time. No calls on the way there...

I get there and I find out two things: a) my wife, her boss, and his wife are all running late (as well as the other couple he invited, his foreman and the foreman's wife) and b) the restaurant does not open until 5:00, which puts us 30 minutes behind schedule. As I wait for the other dinner guests and for the restaurant to open, I sit, asking God to give me a quiet evening.

Everyone shows up and the establishment opens. We go in and are seated and proceed to have a great dinner at Shogun Japanese restaurant. I had the filet mignon, like I normally do when I have beef while most of those around me chose filet and wither shrimp or chicken. I did not go for the extras since last year when he took us out, I felt like a pig by having an appetizer, a huge meal, and dessert. This time I kept it simple and I was blessed for it. By ordering the filet only, I got a NICE 8 ounce filet that was darn near perfect. All the other folks got 6 ounce and while I was told they tasted very good, mine looked better :) .

During dinner, tickets were passed along the table with instructions for us to each take one. I looked at mine (all were the same) and noticed that we would be travelling about 1 hour east to Greenville Texas to see Mercy Me in a homecoming Christmas concert. I had never seen them before was a bit curious how they would be live in a very small auditorium in a little town like Greenville. I was blown away. The first half was "unplugged" with all acoustic instruments and the band sitting in high stools. The second half was an electric eye and ear candy feast that was not too loud, but cool enough for me (the hard rock junkie) to enjoy.

The band played all of their "Christmas Sessions" CD and many of those tunes really kicked. "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" and "The Little Drummer Boy" really hit with a punch, a melodic punch that was not too bombastic but not wuss rock, either.

After the show (which I would have paid to see...it really was that good) we took the slow route home an stopped at Sonic for drinks and Blasts, paid for again by my wife's boss. We joked and had a great time as all 6 of us sat in Gustavo's Suburban. After an enjoyable ride home, we stopped by to pick up my Dakota and my wife and I drove 30 minutes home in the cold Winter air.

I had my phone on vibrate all evening long and was truly blessed that I was not called. Thank you, God for that gift.

After getting home and in bed around midnight, I managed to get 6 hours sleep before I got up and walked the little man in the below freezing air. I got back, fed the lovable pooches and got a shower and coffee before heading off to the Men's Minstry Breakfast. Gustavo was cooking, but not has famous Huevos Rancheros (I do not like eggs, but his I will eat), just typical gringo food. It was good, although they had way too much again. They fixed a lot since we had a guest speaker, Neal Jeffrey. He did a great job and I think his message was well received.

After the breakfast was over with, I stayed to help clean. I did a lot more cleaning than I normally do, but I did not mind...the phone did not ring and I was being fed...in more than one way.

No comments: