Tuesday, December 05, 2006

No, I Am Not Nostradomus / Doggy Duty

Notice was sent via e-mail by the number two manager...our site is closing. The data center on site will be merged into another data center (location TBA). This does not mean I will lose my job. I can do my job almost anywhere as long as I have a stable broadband connection. The site I work at is a satellite data center. We have another building about 5 miles away. However, with all the changes that have been going on, the likelihood of being unemployed next year at this time is moderate.

I have to admit that announcing this so early (we have until mid 2008 to consolidate all the trade data centers into a core group) is unusual. With the exception of the last layoff, notices of this nature are usually not announced until the last minute. Getting up to 1.5 years notice is something of a novelty.

When the last layoff was announced, I told everyone (those being laid off and those who remained) that the next announcement would be a site closing. Most of them scoffed. Some of them agreed. Looks like I was right...the only difference is the timing. I was not expecting this until summer.

Another busy night for us. I got home late (issue at work), just minutes after my wife. It was "fend for yourself" for dinner so after we both scarfed down a quick meal, I washed a mound of dishes (mostly Tupperware) while my wife groomed Little Man. After we both were done, I got to wash him and then walk him. At 9:15, I finally site down to check the mail and new as well as update (again) my blog. Law and Order is recording, but I am sure it will not get watched tonight.

No comments: