Tuesday, December 05, 2006

It Does Not Feel Like Christmas At Work

As I walk down the halls of our building, I would never guess it was Christmas time by the looks of the place. There is no Christmas tree in the lobby, no merriment in the halls, none of the offices are decorated...nothing to give me the indication that we are near the end of the calendar year anticipating a week off to spend with family. It is a little depressing. It is actually the worst I have seen in my corporate career. This is Christmas?

Maybe the lack of employees in this building is the reason. The building I work in is arranged to accommodate about 80 people, but we currently only have about 20-25 here now. The last round of layoffs took away 11 people, but we have been losing people pretty steadily for the past 3 years. There has been talk of backfilling the offices with people that were in buildings slated to be closed down, but we have only seen a couple so far. One of them comes in once a week (he works from home mostly)and the other stays locked in his office. I only see him when he goes for water or to the toilet.

Nope, no cheer here. Back when the building was better utilized, you would find trays of holiday goodies on conference room tables, in the break room, and in almost everyone's office there was a candy jar. The halls and offices would be decorated, the smell of glögg would fill the air, and merriment would be everywhere. I guess the good news is that I do not have to worry about eating too much junk food since there is none to tempt me.

No comments: