Tuesday, December 26, 2006

I Wonder What The Week Will Bring

It is Tuesday, which is really my Monday since Monday was a national holiday. While 90% of my company is taking the week off, I am at work. While this is saving me 4 vacation days, I am not being overly productive. You see, the new job role I have does not offer me the option to take any real time off. At best I would be on call and would need to be near a broadband connection (wired, preferably) so I could do my job (Escalation Management) if required. If I were to "work from home" this week, I would just be in the house and in the way since my wife is off this week. She would most likely be cleaning and as much as I love to clean (smirk) it would just not work out. So I decided to work at the office most of the week.

I brought our old monitor with me to dispose of properly. Lugging a 19 inch CRT was not fun (my make has been a tad sore the past few days. Aleve has helped some) but I made it to the recycle pallet without blowing out my back (I hope). I fired up my laptop and connected to the corporate network and nothing had changed since I logged off Friday at 4:35 Central time. There were a few more open high severity issues, but none that concerned me with the exception of one and that had not been updated since Saturday. Not sure why, but as long as I am not being called by the customer, I have nothing to worry about.

Actually the list of open cases was much smaller than it was Friday. It appears that the Incident team closed them off the web board and now only a few remain and none of them appear super critical.

I ran my morning reports, checked the status of a few tickets and then updated my time sheet. I know the later in the week it becomes, the more likely an issue will arise that I might have to help manage. We will be having end of year closing of reports on all the major systems and the systems that our customer uses have been acting flaky lately. Not a good sign at all.

I called my mom on Christmas Eve to see how she was doing. Not much ever changes there. I know that she would have enjoyed having her family all together on Christmas but that was not going to be possible this year.

With less than one week of 2006 left, I began reflecting on all the things that have happened during the year. 2006 was eventful and was eye opening in many aspects. I know that as the years march on things will get a bit more difficult for us. The job market, while improving, has yet to afford me a job that equals what I am accustomed to. The contract that I work on has consistently trimmed headcount and moved people here an there to fill gaps. The ability to "grow" is stifled as we go plugging holes in the dam. Most of my colleagues are pretty busy trying to fix the things that our outsourced help has broken in the process of trying to fix something. Off-shoring is definitely an interesting game.

I have been at work 1.5 hours so far and if nothing major changes, I am going to work from home this afternoon. My wife will appreciate that, I hope.

No comments: