Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Dull Is Getting Old / Small Catch-up / Fixed!

"Always a Dull Moment" celebrated 2 years Sunday and I forgot to make a big deal about it. Happy Birthday, AaDM!

I was surprised that yesterday was as non eventful as it was. Not that I am complaining...not at all. Now my colleagues in Europe were not so blessed...they were busy all day long. I did not envy them at all.

As a matter of fact, I had almost decided to go home early, but then I remembered that I would be taking an extended lunch on Thursday and decided to stay until 4:30 PM.

About the only thing of interest was a call and e-mail from a recruiter asking be about "Paul", whom I have blogged about before. Paul was terminated back in June-July of this year and has just now decided to look for work. I did not think he had the funds to survive that long without work, but with his unemployment checks and savings, he was able to make it 6 months...not bad.

I gave him a good review, but I did not make it spotless. While everyone deserves a second chance,I am not going to blatantly lie for anyone. Sorry Paul...but you know me. I am gonna call it as I see it..however I did tell them that I would hire you if given the opportunity.

I got home and greeted my wife while fending off the dogs who were excited to see me. They had already been fed and my wife was cooking dinner, so after greeting them all, I retired to my office to check the bills/mail and enter in any receipts that my wife had not had time to do so. Since there were not many, I began to work on my wife's PDA problem. I have good news...I resolved it. yes, I finally figured out what was causing it...errr, well sort of.

One by one I removed the palm databases that I suspected were causing the problem. One by one, nothing worked. So I started thinking about how the data was being restored. The device had a program called "SyncAll" that was designed to give you a full restore in case of a system crash. It turns out that something in the back-up folder was messed up, so I renamed it and allowed the pda to sync only the typical data (datebook, contacts, memos, to do lists) and then install the programs one at a time until finished.

Before I could begin that process, my wife called me into dinner and I told her that I think I had the problem licked. She seemed very pleased (she really misses her PDA), so I ate quickly and then cleaned up the dinner dishes (she cooked, I cleaned...fair enough) and went back to my task before my trustee meeting.

I did a sync of the standard PDA data and then turned off the PDA. I waited. It did not come back on. I turned it on, opend a few programs to see if her data was there then turned it off. It did not come back on by itself. This was good. I then began adding the programs my wife needs (Bible, password safe, and a couple of others) and did a sync again. After the installs and sync, AI turned it off and back on. I tested some things and turned it back off. It did not come back on. Happy, I went to my trustee meeting.

The meeting was short (1.5 hours) but we were warned that the next one would be much longer due to the fact we would be going over the church budget. While I am not looking forward to it, I will do my part because I believe if you agree to something, you need to carry it through towards completion, even if it is not pleasant.

I got home and my wife was watching on TV that I was not interested in, so I went in the office and played with hockey-puck, trying to get it to connect wirelessly. I am not having much success, and if I do not get this working, my wife will not be able to use it. Odd that I had no problem getting it up and running on Linux, but have so much trouble with Win2k. It is not an encryption problem, since I turned that off for the test. Both the laptop and the router see each other, but I cannot get an IP address, even though both are set to DHCP. I guess I can try to give the laptop a static IP address. It cannot hurt to try...

Since I was not successful on that, I started to watch season one of "The Shield". I while I like the show mostly, it is a lot more graphic than I thought would be allowed on regular TV. I will watch a few more episodes to help me make up my mind...

1 comment:

knightmare said...

If you have not seen much of The Shield I must warn you that it is very very graphic. I would rate it at "R".

Just thought I'd let you know.