Friday, June 23, 2006

Vector Linux Verdict

I played with Vector Linux for a few hours last night...not long...just long enough to see how it works and I have my verdict on it. It is light and fast. It is based on Slackware (if I remember correctly...I only used Slackware once about 9 years ago) and it appears very stable. I rather nice install was only 1.1 gig and that included 4 kernels, 4 window managers, and a lot of software. It uses a package system similar to Debian (Debian uses apt-get, and Vector uses slapt-get) and both have GUI package managers. However, here is my beef. I never could get the GUI package manager to work. A look on the forums stated this is a known bug...how odd that it has not been fixed.

I did an update and upgrade and things got WORSE. I was using XFCE (my WM of choice) and after the upgrade, I could not log on to XFCE, only the other WM's. Since I am not a fan of the other "lite" WM's...I was disappointed.

I liked the install. Geeky enough to get hardcore and it had enough defaults newbies could get a running install in 30 minutes. It was FAST and slick and had a lot of tools. There was no bloat. Even an Xubuntu install was bigger and it had less kernels and WM's.

I still have it on my laptop and may go back an good off with it, but I am glad I tested it on it rather than megaserver. After a little while, I was not happy. Also, the support is a lot lighter than Ubuntu's support is, but the audience is different, so that stands to reason.

Well it is Friday, I am quasi-awake, my coffee is almost finished, and I need a shower. My mind has been racing around many church issues that I am struggling with. I also am contemplating buying more soaker hoses and some connectors to allow me to cover all the foundation and the fence foundation as well...currently I have about 3/4 's of the foundation covered and about 1/3 of the fence, do to the layout of the spigots and the fence. Buying a "T" connector and 2 more sections of hose would give me complete coverage at a cost of about $25. Not bad, but that brings my total to $50 for hoses and connectors that I should not have to use since I have a sprinkler system...but we cannot use it because of watering restrictions. I guess I should not complain. My wife was talking to someone in the southern part of Texas that has reached "stage 4" restrictions and they cannot use *any* water outside at all. Ouch. Goodbye lawn and foundation.

Okay, I am not so mad now. Really.

No comments: