Wednesday, June 21, 2006

My Spin on Something I Read This Morning

I read a few blogs from time to time. The reasons I read each blog differ, but it is usually because what that persons blogs about interests me to some degree. I have even been known to read blogs that go way against my way of thinking, just so I know what goes on outside my little sphere of existance. One blog that I have been reading a bit more of lately is "The AnarchAngel". Now this blogger and his wife are not people I would normally spend copious amounts of time with, (his interests are a bit different than mine, so I doubt he would want to spend much time with me, either) but I respect his opinion, his thoughts, and his insight on more than one topic. he seems like a good enough guy, so my time on reading his blog is not wasted.

This morning I noticed a new post about changes in his lifestyle that have occurred over the years and it got me to thinking. His post made me think about some of the same things and how he an I are alike and how we differ.

He is not a Christian blogger (from what I can tell, no offense intended to him or his family) so you will see some language (some, I think from his military service, of which I applaud). However, there are no adult images on the site that I have found. If some rough language will not offend you, then stop and read his blog sometime. YOu may find it refreshing.

OK, his list:

1) Showers: I have preferred showers over baths since I was a teen. I tend to shave in the shower, but I only shave 1-2 times a week. My skin is very sensitive and I really suffer when I have to shave every day. I cannot stand being sweaty, so in the summer I shower frequently.

I too, prefer hot showers, although I like them warm in the summer and hotter in the winter due to my cold nature. I tend to shower for about 7-10 minutes.

2) Change and Keys: I prefer to clip my keys on my belt or my belt loop and hardly ever carry change in my pockets. I do not like to jingle, either. I carry my wallet in the front pocket for medical reasons and because it is hard to pick that way. I hate bulging pockets and carry as much on my belt (looking geeky a lot of the time) as I can and now carry most of what I can in my backpack. I like my keyring to be as minimal as I can get it.

3) Shorts: I wear shorts anytime I am not at work (although I have worn them on Casual Friday on the hottest of days). I have 2 types of shorts, NICE khakis and workout shorts. Unless I am working or working out, I wear nice khakis. I like to be comfortable. I have always preferred shorts as long as I can remember. The clothes I chose to wear to work make me look like a Blockbuster or FedEx/Kinko's employee. I like khakis and polos and only wear jeans when they are relaxed fit, slightly baggy. Tight jeans on men are disgusting.

4) Sneakers and Shoes: I wear casual shoes to work, but I never polish them. I generally just wipe them down. I wear sandals around the house, yard, and when I walk my dogs because I prefer my feet get plenty of air. I do not wear them outside of that area, except the beach. I wear sneakers the remainder of the time. I have been known to be very hard on shoes.

5) Shirts: At work/church I wear Polo / knit crew shirts. At home I almost always wear printed tees. I have a drawer for "nicer" tees that I wear in public when I am being ultra casual and a drawer for my yard/house work tees. These usually are the freebies I get from vendors or "nice" tees that are worn out. At one point, I was getting so many vendor tees that I did not have to buy any for about a year. I have been known to wear nice sweatshirts with shorts since my uppoer body is what gets cold and my legs tend to stay warm.

6) Answering the Phone: I have ever since I became white collar answered the phone (even my home phone) with my first and last name. At work (when required), I answer with department and first (and last when required) name. Yes, people think I am weird for that. I think it is really stupid when I answer the phone First_name, Last_name and the person calling asks me who they are speaking to. Pay attention!

7) Clean Plate: Being raised poor, you learn to eat what is on your plate. This can be a bad thing (especially when trying to lose weight) if you tend to order the amount you can eat and your wife only eats half of hers and wants to trash the rest rather than take it home. I never leave food unless it is of VERY poor quality, then I tend to question why I was eating it in the first place. I tend to order less than I know will fill me up and wait to see how much my wife will eat and whether or not she will take it with her. I can get dessert if she takes it with her or if she manages to eat it all in one sitting. While this is rare, it does happen, and usually with ribs.

8) Huah: While not my phrase of choice, I do us it from time to time when I talk to my son who graduated AIT tomorrow from Fort LostintheWoods, Misery. I tend to understand military types (My dad, half-brother, and son were/is in the military) and talk their talk (when I know how/when) when interacting with them. This same behavior shows when I work with those outside of this country. I tend to use words / phrases / terminology they use and this continues even when I am away. I once told a server at a restaurant "tack" (Swedish for thank you) when she refilled my drink. My colleagues just laughed a bit.

9) Hair: My hair is always a week or two too long. The older I get, the shorter I wear it. While I doubt I will ever wear a high and tight, I am sure I will get in buzz very short in the next few years.. My hair grows much faster on top than it does on the side, so I can get a mop-top pretty quicky, even though I am going bald :)

10) Sir or Ma'am: I have been doing this ever since I can remember...which is most of my adult life. It is a respect thing for a persons seniority, station, skill set, age, etc. I call my manager, Team Lead, and those with much greater skillz than I have Sir or Ma'am. I even call my son Sir from time to time, although he prefers, "soldier". My wife is ma'am to me as well.

There are others, but I thought to mirror AnarchAngel's list. It is a good one and does not need changing. His tendencies partially reflect his military affiliation where mine is a culmination of everyone I interact with. Both have merit, IMHO.

1 comment:

AnarchAngel said...

El Gee, thanks for the read. I am not a christian blogger explicitly (though I was raised catholic, and am still loosely so - I have a lot of political problems ith the church), and my language stems more from my large Irish family, and living in Ireland (where profanity is used as punctuation) than the military; though my service didnt exactly improve the tendency.

Anyway, as I mentioned in the post, a lot of the habits Ii wrote about I already had prior to my service, but I grew up with a military background, with relatives in all the services etc... and also a traditional boston irish catholic background; combined with the Air Force they simply served to reinforce into permanence those habits.

I really can't imagine wanting to be any other way; though there were times in my life where I was. I've had long hair (never liked it much), full beards, slovenly appearance etc... when I was a kid but I would never choose to be so now.

Cheers0