Wednesday, June 28, 2006

New Shiny

The other day at work my TL announced that we would be getting new Sun workstations. While they are not "new", they are much better machined than we are used to seeing. The new machines are Sunblade 1500's with XVR-600 video cards. Also included were HP's 19 inch 1955 LCD monitor. I am beginning to love my desk now.

The only drawback is the OS. I had to load Solaris 8 on my box (corporate load) to support our customers, since they have that image. Which means no Gnome Desktop (I really do not like Open Windows or CDE) for me on this station. My last station was a Sunblade 100 and it had Solaris 9 on it, fully tweaked by the previous owner. It was nice, but slow. As you can see it was new in 2001 (not 1991 like I had previously and erroneously had posted...thanx for pointing that out!) and was the newest desktop in the building until these arrived.

I managed to add the new machine to the domain and install the image via boot net with only one hitch, which I corrected on my own. After the image was loaded, I had to install the proper drivers for the video card/frame buffer, but that was pretty easy. One reboot and she was running fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You mean, the Sun Blade 100 was new in 2001, not 1991, right ?