Friday, June 02, 2006

Linux Update and The Golden is Home

If you follow Linux you may have heard that Ubuntu Linux (my particular favorite) released version 6.06 LTS. The is a milestone in that this distribution, when used as a server, will be support for a very long time. Me happy! I have three Linux machines that I use constantly, and a laptop I play with every now and then, for a total of 4 Linux machines. One of those is at work and I am using it to edit this entry. I updated this box (450 mhz Pentium III) last night/this morning with the latest version and it seems to be doing pretty well. I think this version is faster (at least it seems to be) and it runs XFCE (the window manager I prefer on low end boxes like this one) very well. I hope to use it a bit more when I get the chance. I have had to use my Windows box a lot because Remedy does not run on Linux and I have not been able to get WINE and Remedy to play nicely together.

The server I have a home ( a very underpowered 400 Celeron) I upgraded last night and it is running but not as well as I would like. I upgraded and it was fine after the first reboot. I did some cleaning and rebooted again and I got a "kernel panic" error. I rebooted with the old kernel and reinstalled the new one, rebooted, and all was well. I added some software (the biggest was the Xubuntu-Desktop package) and rebooted ... then my panel disappeared (I run XFCE on it as well). I cannot get it back no matter how hard I try. I finally gave up. It is a VERY customized box but I do not need it for much for a while, so I think when the new CD's come in that I ordered, I will wipe it and start from scratch. It most likely will blaze at that point.

BtW, the CD's are free and you can order up to 10 from the Ubuntu website. I ordered 20 last year (PC, Mac and 64 bit PC) and gave 15 of them away. I wish that the internet rumor about a Christian OS was true. I would be proud to run "Jesux".

I think I will do the laptop next, since it runs Gnome and that is what my main PC runs. I tried to get XFCE to run but it really had trouble (I think it was video driver issues...I have had some problems upgrading them). If the laptop fairs well, I will attempt the main desktop. I have been happy so far. Lots of updates and things are looking pretty good.

Our Golden came home after spending 1 day at the vet for observation after her surgery. She acted very depressed for several hours...I am sure she was upset that she had to stay there. She did not eat and just laid around her kennel at the vet. I guess that made it easy for them. However, I am a little upset that they did not clean her up. Animals (people included) tend to void themselves when they go under anesthesia. Whoever was to care for her after surgery did not clean her up and she had fecal matter on her backside. Ick. Well, since my wife wanted this surgery for the dog, she has volunteered to be the Golden's care giver during recovery. It is not that I do not want to, but it is going to be time consuming and I do not have that time in the morning.

The Golden looks rather sad...she has been shaved down on most of her right leg and she has one side of her bum that is hairy and one that is not. She also has to wear "the megaphone" (e-collar) so she will not touch her incision. That alone will drive her mad. She HATES that thing.

The surgeon told my wife that the surgery went very well. He did warn us that the dog had a 40% chance of blowing out her other ACL and that worried me. All this time I was worried that her hip dysplasia would be the problem and it turns out that it is her knees that are going to be her down fall. The sad thing is we are NEVER allowed to take her off her leash when she is outside. She will never be able to run and play. That breaks my heart because that is what Golden's do. Now I am beginning to question the surgery.

That questioning prompted a discussion with my wife last night. She asked me if I was mad that the surgery was performed. My honest answer was (and still is) , "No". I am concerned that our dog will never have her quality of life back and that the $3000 that we borrowed for the surgery is only buying us a little time a a little relief for the dog. I am not trying to sound like a whiner (even though it sounds that way to me!), but our budget is tight. I have been finding ways to trim it as best as I can. My wife has not gone shopping for clothes in a long time and to be honest, my wardrobe is getting thin as well. It will take us 2-3 years to pay off the bills we have and that means NO home improvements, NO furniture, and NO fuel efficient car for that time. While our overall debt (counting the car payment) is well within the national average...we have never owed this much money before. I believe that if my wife and I will continue to be faithful to God and our church, we will be blessed in many ways. I pray that God finds us worthy of a financial blessing. I do not have any rich uncles :-) , so that avenue is out. I do some work on the side but it is sporadic, about $75 a month worth. I guess I could get a tip jar (from Paypal) and solicit readers for a buck or two...nah, I cannot resort to that. I will find away to get the money we need. God, use me!

No comments: