Monday, June 05, 2006

Not So Wild Weekend Update

I really know how to cut lose on a Friday night...I mow lawns. I raised the wheels a setting since it has been very dry here and people have to cut back on watering. It took about 2.5 hours to cut 2 lawns (ours and our neighbors). I was hot and sweaty and by the time I was finished, I needed a shower. But wait, there is more! My wife wanted me to get the grill out and grill some salmon before it got too late and the healthy dog needed walked. Ok...that is not a problem so I knock that out and I am in the shower by 9:45 PM. I stayed up and watched one of the Babylon 5 movies and went to bed. I was very tired.

Saturday I decided that I would go see the new X-Men movie. I have read the reviews and I have talked to colleagues and friends before I went and the mix of reviews intrigued me. To make a long entry short, I liked it. I thought it was well thought out. Yes the effects were a little over done, but that is OK, it was an X-men movie. While I would not want a young child to see it, the over 13 crowd should do just fine. Mind you I most likely did not catch all the language, but one scene did catch my ears. Kitty Pryde (in one of the later scenes) calls Juggernaut a "dick head". I guess you would have to see the movie. It actually made sense me.

The other scene is with Rebecca Rajmin. She appears nude, but you cannot see any private flesh, not even her bum. Again, again you have to see the movie to understand.

After the movie I went home and began vacuuming the house. My wife had a function to go to so I helped out around the house. She had a good time and I did not mind. I was able to vacuum the house and do a load of laundry before she got back. I even managed to work on my Linux server that I had upgraded. I was able to fix the xfce-panel issue, but it now has another problem...after a few hours it locks up and needs a hard reboot. While this is not an immediate problem, I will need to correct it. I am not sure what I want to do, but a complete re-install may be in order. I have a few things I would like to change anyway.

I did not do much else on Saturday. My wife said something about going out, but she never elaborated so I just let it drop. I had a feeling that it was going to be a date that she wanted me to coordinate, but the problem stems from the fact she already knew what she wanted to do and did not tell me that. She wanted me to "take charge", but I knew that unless I figured out exactly what she wanted to do, she would not have truly enjoyed herself.

Sunday was church day and a dinner out at La Finca. That meal had to be the best I have had in some time. Our waiter was outstanding, the food was great and there was PLENTY. Enough for me to have lunch today. I ordered the Brocetta Camarones (Bacon wrapped shrimp), which consisted of 8 LARGE (not huge, 2 large bites each) shrimp, rice, frijoles charra (beans), grilled veggies, and fresh flour tortillas. Of course guacamole and pico was included.

My wife order a huge plate of grill meats (ribs, shrimp, and fajita chicken and steak), tortilla soup, grilled veggies and tortillas. The meals normally run $14.00 ( a good buy in my opinion, but we had a coupon for 50% off one entree when one was purchased at regular price, so our meal (with a generous tip) was $33.00. We went home stuffed (chips and 3 kinds of salsa come with each meal) and on that note my wife took a nap while I updated www.mistergeek.com and worked on my Linux box a bit more. I still could not keep it from crashing after a few hours of operation, so I will need to investigate more later.

After my wife's nap, we started moving furniture into the garage and my office in preparation for the carpet cleaners who come today. The are not doing my office for a couple of reasons. First, it really is not dirty. The second reason is that the per room charge is kinda high after the first 6 rooms, and they are running a special. Lastly, I did not have the time or the energy to move all the computer stuff, bookcases, and desk. The carpet cleaning does not include moving furniture and to be honest, some of our furniture costs about what I bring home in a month and I do not want it damaged.

After moving all the stuff I watched the last Babylon 5 movie, "The Legend of the Rangers" and went to bed. If you like Babylon 5, you can skip this movie...it really was bad. It was worse than the first season on B5. At least I can say I have seen all the B5 stuff, the movies and all 5 seasons of the TV show. I can now concentrate on Farscape. That is the last sci-fi I series want to see that I have not been able to yet, although a colleague is trying to get me to watch Dr. Who. I am not sure I can do that. I did not like it when friends tried to get me to watch in many years ago...I am sure I will not like it now.

I woke up feeling pretty good for not having any pain meds in 24 hours. I am not going to get my hopes up, because the last time I tried this, I had to go back on them. I only lasted 2-3 days without them the last time I tried.

The morning has been rather non-eventful and I particularly like it that way. I sent a vacation request for October so I can drive up to see my mom. It has been over a year since I have seen her. I will also get to see my friends whom I have not seen in over a year as well. One couple is coming down to Euless to visit some friends that they know there and while they are in state, we would love to have them over for dinner.

Well, I better get back to work. It appears that the security guy is making sure we are ready for our audit.

No comments: