Friday, June 09, 2006

Pre-weekend Update

I wrote down a bit of the dream I had but since it has been over 24 hours now, I will have to augment it greatly to get a story out of it. Great. Another started but prolly never finished short story. My CommColl English teacher would be upset. She thinks I should be published.

My wife called and e-mailed me yesterday to me know that she was going to see Joyce Meyer in Dallas that evening. She did not want to drive and was going to take the metro, but it is a bit of a hike from the train station to the area where the event was held. I have done it before at night, but there is no way on God's green earth I am letting her do that alone. Maybe if she went with a group...maybe. She also stated that she was going for at least one session today but would let me know her exact plans so I would not worry. Smart lass.

Anyhooo...with that in mind I knew she would not be home until at least 10:00, most likely 10:30 PM. That meant I would have an empty house for about 5 hours. I had a couple of things to do (wash dishes, eat, feed and walk the dogs, do some bills, water plants) but mostly it would be me time. With that in mind, I did everything but wash the dishes and walk the dogs and I settled down in front of my underpowered server to wipe it and reload it with the latest version of Xubuntu, the XFCE version of Ubuntu. I knew that being only 400 mhz Celeron, it would take a while, but I had the time.

I popped in the CD and rebooted the server and noticed that it did not boot to CD. Oh, I must've forgotten to change the BIOS to boot from CD-ROM first. I checked the BIOS and it was set correctly. Hmmm.
I put the CD in my other machine and it booted fine, so it was not a CD issue. I had a couple of OLD CD-ROM units in my junk box, so I popped the old one out (circa 2000) and put in another (circa 2002). I checked the jumpers, and booted it up with the CD. Presto...the install program started up.

After I set the parameters for install, I turned on my mp3 player and rocked out to some very good Christian rock (Petra, Pillar, POD, Day of Fire) while I washed the dishes. After the dishes were done, I changed the dogs water (it looked kinda gross) and checked on the install. It was 98% complete at this point, so I grabbed some ice cream and waited the last few minutes for the installation to complete. After a reboot I had a fresh shiny install of Xubuntu with most of the tools I needed already installed. I still needed to install SSH, Bittorrent, and Automatix, but that would be an easy fix.

After playing with this for a couple of hours, I walked the dogs, one at a time until they did their thing. I cleaned up after them like I normally do. Our town has a "puppy poo" law...the dogs drops it, you pick it up. In NC, when we lived in the country, that was not a bit deal, but in the 'burbs it is. Makes sense. We have a neighbor who lets her pup dump in my yard. I watched her let the dog do it and let her know that It was not polite to do that (as well as illegal) and it has not happened again.

As I was walking, I noticed a lot of sprinklers running. This is not unusual, but we are under stage three of a water usage restriction. My neighborhood can only water once a week (on Wednesdays) for 60 minutes. My wife said that the police have been cruising the alleys and streets looking for offenders. Glad to see my tax money is being used "to protect and serve".

I got back to the house after the second dog was finished and decided to watch as much of an episode of Farscape as I could before my wife got home. I got about 45 minutes into one when she came home at 10:38 PM. I can finish it later. It was interesting but nothing to lose sleep over.

I am on day 4 without pain pills. No pain waking up, no pain when I stretch, except for the sciatica issue I have been having but it is not as bad as it was a week ago...it is pretty mild by comparison. I may be healthy by the end of the year! I need to get back into MILD stretching again. My PT told me not to do much while my sciatica was acting up to help speed the healing. Smart man. Since I am feeling better I need to get back into a regiment. I still need to avoid contact stuff, but I can at least do sit-ups, push-ups, bike, and stretch.

Well, almost lunch time. The tickets have been light the past week, but I was warned they would get heavier in the upcoming weeks, at least for the next month.

No comments: