Sunday, June 11, 2006

Man, it is HAWT Outside.

If you check your weather forecast for the 75225 zip code (not where I live but very close), you will see it is very hot. It is very dry and it is very hot. It has been in the 100 degrees F (that is almost 38 C.) range for about a week and next week is looking about the same. Needless to say, most of us are staying inside from 9 AM until 9 PM. Summer in Texas is here. Prepare for more of this for the next 4 months. $300 electric bills, but at least my water bill be somewhat lower.

The hot weather and little rain (the last rain was 30 days ago at .03 of an inch...woohoo. In the past 42 days we have received 2 inches of rain...most of that over 30 days ago. Yeah...it is dry) has created drought conditions in this area. Our county has issued a stage 3 water alert meaning we can only water our lawns once a week (on trash day) for a maximum of 1 hr. I can water my foundation (this is a weird thing I only have heard of here in Texas) 1 hour per week. I cannot water my Bradford Pear trees (which is sucking the life out of my lawn) because it is "established"...only new trees can be watered more. My poor yard (and most of those around me) are looking rather pathetic.

I am sure those in New Mexico and Arizona have it just as bad if not worse. This is the first year we have had these restrictions that I can remember since moving here 5 years ago from NC, where we never had to water our lawn. We had shade tree and the sun did not fry my grass.

No comments: