Saturday, June 24, 2006

Not a Bad Day

The alarm went off at 6 AM...I had forgotten to reset it to the normal weekend wake up time of 7:00. After turning it off and resetting it for 7:00 (I think...) I got another hours sleep. My wife was already up, but unlike last weekend she did not walk the dogs. Instead she was watering the foundation on the north side of the house...something I did the night before. I was still very asleep and snapped at her, something I apologized for immediately. I then gathered both dogs and headed out. I have not walked both of them together in quite some time. The Golden cannot go more than half a block and little man has to have a long walk on the weekends. We compromised and did the extended walk, but not the long one. The Golden was bushed when we got back and I was frustrated at both of them for misbehaving while I was trying to sleepwalk them.

This photo was taken in the fall of 2003 at Lake Texhoma, on the Texas-Oklahoma border. It is only about an hour and a half or so from our house.


After my walk I apologized to my wife again, telling her that I was just groggy and I was really sorry. She forgave me for being me (like she always does) and I brewed a small pot of French Roast coffee with vanilla toffee cream while I fired up geekbox to check mail.

After a quick check of e-mail (only a couple...the spam filter at the server is doing a good job) my I stripped the bed and tossed the sheets into the washer. I knew my wife had stuff to add so I did not start it.

My wife was going to aerobics and I wanted to get started with my weekly vacuuming. It takes about 2 hours to do it the way my wife likes it (including cleaning the unit when I am done) and was finishing up just as she came back. After a quick lunch of sandwiches and green peppers fresh from our neighbor's garden, we shook out the comforter and the sheets so I could finish making the bed. The timing was perfect...my wife felt she needed a nap. So while she napped, I checked some mail, did some bill paying, wrote my Sunday school lesson for tomorrow, and blogged a bit before I trotted to the store to pick up steaks for dinner. Krogers is right next door (outside our sub-division) so I walked. It was 95 but it did not feel hot until I got in the store. I savored the A/C while I searched for a couple of steaks and some frozen baby lima beans. Since I was thirsty, I grabbed a Fuze White Tea to drink on my way back.

After I got back, I marinated the steaks in soy and Worcestershire sauce and rubbed mine down with a Mexican spice mix my wife picked up for me. After the steaks were in the fridge, I started on the living room electronics (see previous blog) and finished shortly after dinner.

The steaks were fantastic. I got a 16 ounce (453 grams) T-bone for my wife and a 6 ounce (170 gram) bacon wrapped tenderloin for me. 8 minutes on each side over medium heat and they were *perfect* . We use a gas grill only because it is quicker, cleaner, and easier with our schedules. I would prefer charcoal, but we cannot do it at this time. I will throw some mesquite chips on the grill to give it a smoky flavor when I think about it, but I had forgotten this time. Nonetheless, the meal of steak, lima beans, and Parmesan noodles hit the spot. A cold Shiner Bock would have gone well with it, but we opted for water (my wife) and a Diet Cherry Coke (for me). We both joked that a hunk of cheese cake would have been perfect with the dinner, since neither one of us stuffed ourselves. My wife only ate half her steak...as planned. Needless to say we skipped dessert.

When the meal was done my wife went back to working on the touch up work around the living room windows while I finished on the entertainment center. When I was done I walked the dogs again (one at time please!) and chatted with a very good friend from WV who is visiting some of his friends here in Tejas. I prolly talked with him for about an hour. I hope he and his wife have time to spend with us before they go back in 2 weeks.

My wife wanted to watch A DVD that she ordered from Lamb and Lion Ministries regarding animals in Heaven. Being the pet person (and a Christian), this is important to her. BtW, Dr. Reagan is a member of our church.

It had been so long since she used the DVD player, I had to give her a tutorial on it. As soon as she was up and running, I came in to watch an episode of Farscape. Last night, the episode I watched was called "They are Out of Their Minds" It was the funniest one yet. The characters had their minds switched to each others bodies. Chianna in D'Argo's body was the best...if you have not seen that particular episode, think a gay D'Argo and you have it. Crichton as Rigel was pretty funny as well.

Tonight's episode was call "My Three Crichton's". It was pretty good...one of the better in season 2. I am still not hooked on season 2, but it is getting a bit better. I still prefer Battlestar Galactica.

Well, I am getting tired and I need a shower. I have not gone anywhere today (except when I walked to the store to get steaks) so I skipped my morning shower, but I am not getting on clean sheets until I get a good hot shower.

No comments: