Wednesday, June 21, 2006

This Does Not Bode Well

I just got a call from PC support regarding my failing hard drive. They were supposed to come over to swap out my failing hard drive and reimage it with the company loaded OS/software build. The tech said he could not come over to my building to do the work and was shipping me a new HD, pre-imaged. OK, not problem. I ask why he cannot come by and he says, "You do not work in a $company building, so we are not allowed to enter it." He said the building is not on the map. I wonder if this was the same guy who shipped me Windows 2ooo CD's once when I asked to have my non-compliant machine imaged with the company load. That was funny. When the install did not go as planned I called him back and his boss told me that this was not procedure and promised to fix the issue himself, which he did in record time.

I work in $company building. It was turned over to my $company when the lease was up when the $company we support vacated it. I use my $company's badge to enter the building, have a $company phone, use the $company LAN, and use the $company's computers. I have not used any of the old company's stuff in almost 3 years, when we were all switched over to the $company.

He then told me all I needed to do was back up my data and when the new drive came in, I could just swap it out, power up the PC and pull down all my data to the new drive. Ok. No problem. Will I have admin rights to the PC? His answer, "Well, you should..."

Then he tells me after I get the new drive, I need to call a number and give them my password so they can synchronize my new HD with the LAN. I do not like that at all.

The tech said I should be getting the new HD in a couple of days. I am not sure my laptop will last that long. Nonetheless, I am not switching it off for anything until the new drive shows up.

Pray for me. I think I am going to need it.

No comments: