Thursday, June 15, 2006

Father's Day a Little Early and The Lawn Ranger

I got home last night after a good day at work. I was only harassed by the SOX team twice and both times there basic things : "What does the "O" in $App_Acronym stand for" and "Do you know or have access to XYZABC account?" I knew the acronym question (it was a logical choice) and the other question was to test my honesty. I was supposed to answer "no" and I did.

When I got home, I found my wife finishing up dinner. She started to fix me a place but I stopped her and told her I would do it, she had done enough (and was going to do more since I had things to do). She smiled, I kissed her and I fixed my plate. While it was a simple throw together (Cheeseburger Mac and pole beans) it really hit the spot. I wolfed it down, drank a swallow or two if Diet Cherry Coke and open up the gift my son sent me. He knows I enjoy medieval items and he went out of his way to get me a sword. It is a version of Excalibur, although not very well made. It is a Pakistani import and the quality is not very high, but it is the thought that counts and it will look great on my office wall.

This is a memorable time for me since my son rarely gets us anything. It is not that he is stingy, he just does not remember to do those things. I guess I was not a good example in that area. I tend to hate holidays and special occasions because it means buying gifts and I am lousy at that.

With Excalibur unpacked and the packing material cleaned up, I changed clothes and headed outside to work on the two lawns (ours and our neighbors) I do every 10 days or so. It was hot out, but not as hot as the previous week, so I figured that I would not overheat. It was still in the high 80's, but 10 degrees cooler than previous days.

The 2 yards were not in bad shape and it only took 2 hours to cut, trim, edge, and clean up. After I finished at 8 PM, I walked little man while my wife gave the Golden some Physical Therapy. I got back, showered, grabbed a Gatorade, and plopped down to watch the season 1 finale of Farscape. 1 season down and 3 to go, plus the Farscape movie "The Peacekeeper Wars". I should be busy until October when Battlestar Galactica starts up again.

After Farscape was over, I went to bed. My wife was watching something on TV but joined me a bit later. I did no realize how tired I was. My mine was very active but my body was exhausted. I kept thinking about how badly I need to get soaker hoses for our foundation since we are only able to water our lawns once per week and the foundation needs watered at least 3 times a week. I also thought about work, bills, and our finances. I pushed as much as I could out of my head finally made it to sleep.

I woke up very sore, so I grabbed a couple Aleve and did the normal morning ritual. I made a mental note to stop by Home Depot and pick up some soaker hoses and couplings to run around the perimeter of our house and fence. Who knows, maybe I will get a surprise! :-)

No comments: