Monday, June 19, 2006

Ok, Back to Work.

I have to admit this weekend was not a bad one at all, other than the obligatory, "I was too short" comments.

Saturday started with our monthly men's breakfast. I was called the night before and asked if I could help cook because the guy who is in charge had not confirmed he was showing up. I agreed and was ready to go to bed so I would get enough sleep before my 6:00 AM arrive time. 30 minutes later "Bill" called me back and told me not to worry, he finally got in touch with "Mick". With that in mind I informed "Bill" that the photos he was requesting were sent to him.

After the men's breakfast, I stayed back and washed the dishes (something I do a lot of at home anyway) and chatted with "Bill" while I did so. After the dishes were finished, we joined the others for our semi-annual church work day. I worked on hedges and when those were finished and cleaned up, I helped (a little) with parking lot patching. I really did not do much "work" since the bags of patch weighed 50 lbs and the guys really did not want me to reinjure myself. I split the bags open with a shovel, let the guys empty them, then I piled up all the garbage and helped spread out the patching. When that had been completed, it was about noon or so and was raining very lightly. Though it did not rain a lot, what we did get was very much welcomed.

I got home and ate a quick bite before I started on my home chores. My wife was going to help a divorced woman from church start packing for her move and would be gone most of the day. That allowed me the time to do the things I needed to do with a minimum of distraction. I vacuumed the house, stripped and made the bed, mopped the kitchen floor, washed the dishes collected up the trash and recycling, and fed and walked the dogs. I was rather tired when that was done. I worked a little on geekbox, trying to get it back to 100%, but I soon realized it will need reloaded. All the new features of the new "Dapper Drake" build are not working with my apt-get dist-upgrade, so I will need to back up my configs and my home folder and do a fresh install when my CD's arrive. Now worries, it still functions, I just do not have all the eye candy that compwiz and XGL offer with the current botched install.

When my wife got home, she was very tired but she wanted to give me the low down on her activities for the day. Like a good husband, I listened and we talked a bit longer until we were too tired to talk and then fatigue took over. We both were out pretty quickly.

Sunday was about as busy as the day before. I had my Sunday School class (I actually had a student show up...) and many hallway conversations before I made it into the sanctuary of our little church. They had a special presentation and message about hero's in our church for Father's Day. It was nice to see the women acknowledge the men in such an uplifting way. I had a tear in my eye once or twice.

After church, we went to Fuddrucker's for burgers. While not the best I have ever had, it was far from the worst. My wife enjoyed hers, and that was good enough for me. I can eat anyplace, usually.

When we had completed our meal, we drove to down town Dallas to make a PC house call. It did not take quite as long as I had thought and would have been shorter if my client would have done 1-2 things on his own BEFORE I arrived, but it still went quickly. My wife dropped me off and headed towards a nearby shopping center until I called her to pick me up.

By this time it was 4 PM and we were both pretty hot and thirsty, so we stopped at a gas station and grabbed a couple of cold drinks...water for my wife and Sobe Green Tea for me. I am trying to drink at least 1 green tea every day for the health benefits. My wife hates the after taste of tea, so she never drinks it.

We got home around 5 PM and I chatted with my mom until my already low phone battery gave out about an hour later. I was tired and so was my wife, so we grabbed a 1 hour nap. We got up and piddled around until 8 PM or so then I took little man for a walk. The rain over the past few days and low clouds made the air very humid, so the walk was very taxing. One thing I noticed was that my back did not hurt at all on Sunday. That was a very nice gift from God. I mad sure to thank him more than once for it.

We stayed up until 11 or so...my wife watched TV and I watched a couple of episodes of Farscape, season 2. I do not like this season so far much as I liked the end of the last season, but it is still early on. My goal is to have all of season 2,3,4, and the The Peacekeeper Wars" done by October so I can begin with Battlestar Galactica and Farscape Season 5 when they begin.

Tonight I have my last One on One Discipling module with my wife's boss. We are going out for a bite to eat then to the library to finish up. Once this is done, he can disciple on his own. This 10 week course has taken more than a year to complete due to scheduling and illness. I am happy that we can close this chapter and move on.

I did not get a chance to move all the living room electronics back into place, but that is not a huge issue yet. I will have a few things I need to do this week (finish a little book I am reading and give it back to its owner and do a new Sunday School lesson for next weekend) and work will be more demanding with the new Unix Workstations being rolled out. So if I concentrate on those tasks, the week should be OK. I may have to mow grass, depending on the weather and if I do, that will be a good thing...I could use the money. Every little bit helps!

No comments: