Thursday, November 30, 2006

Palm Reading

My wife reluctantly told me that her PDA (an IBM Workpad...a Palm Vx clone) would not power on and she thought that she lost all her data. She does sync it with the PC, but not as often as I would. I took it and put it on the charger and let it stay there 24 hours and then powered it on. Some of the menu features worked but not all of them. It appeared that the digitizer was way off and it was not possible to get it working. I did hard reset and then a restore and all appears well. I had installed a program on the PDA that allows EVERY data base to be backed up rather than the default ones. While it takes a long time to restore, you get ALL your programs back and the data. I was pleased with the outcome. I hope my wife is.

You may be asking why a Palm Vx. For what my wife uses it for, it is the best for her. She needs little more than contacts, calendar, and to do lists, but she can play chess as well keep an electronic Bible on it. 8 Megs of RAM and a 20 mhz processor is plenty. One of the best features is the heft of it. It is very sturdy as well as sleek.

No comments: