Wednesday, November 22, 2006

My Turn To Experiment, Part 2

Previously I said I was running Ubuntu 6.06, "sort of". The reason I say "sort of" is because my install was an update of Breezy Badger to Dapper Drake that went bad. I was officially at Dapper, but not all of Dappers features worked. I kludged it together enough to run until I could install Edgy properly since my upgrade to Edgy failed.

Tonight I installed a few more things from Automatix, made some cosmetic changes, and did some tweaking. I installed Pan (newsreader) since I was not needing an e-mail client on this machine. I also installed Analog and configured it. I ran into an error with the config file and decided to make some mount points and alter my /etc/fstab file to match the analog.cfg file.

I noticed that a few things were installed but not showing up in the menu, namely Alacarte and Gnome Configuration Editor (gconf-editor). I created links for them and things were good to go. I decided to test a few items to make sure they worked, so I configured 2 printers (an HP 1115 USB Photo printer and an HP Laserjet 5L on LPT 1). Both printed test pages properly. I then tested my USB thumb drive ant it worked (read and write) properly. I then tested my Smart Media and it worked just like it should.

I then played around and installed Camorama and Google Earth, both of which worked flawlessly. I then ran XSane and tested my scanner, a Mustek 1200 UB. First test scanned worked as expected. I tested it by scanning a postcard that was sent to us from one of my Swedish friends:



If I am not mistaken, Ubuntu has accurately detected all my hardware.

No comments: