Wednesday, November 29, 2006

A Call From A Soldier

I got a call from our son today. I was a bit worried when I saw the country code in the caller ID (+965) because I did not recognize it. It was from our son's Kuwait cell phone. I was surprised how clear the call was (once he moved into a better area) and the fact that the delay was minimal.

We talked for about 40 minutes or so, discussing everything from the weather to work. He said that things are not too bad right now (he is not in a combat area yet) and he is enjoying he experience for the most part. He did comment on how sand seems to get into everything though...he said that is annoying.

I asked him again if there was anything we could send him in a care package and he only asked for two things: peanut butter flavored Power Bars and a "Learn German" CD set. He already understands German pretty well, but he has not been able to use it in about 2 years, so he wants a refresher course. I guess I need to go online and find one for him. He wants CD only if possible.

He seemed in good spirits when we talked and told me his promotion will be official very soon. I was happy to hear that. The military seems to be agreeing with him and as long as he is happy, I am happy.

I asked him if he had visited my blog and he told me no, that he went to my regular web page, so the visitor I had that I thought was him wasn't. Oh well, I am sure he will get to it later.

He told me that he is trying to get his leave set up for March/April if he can and while on leave he has several places he wants to visit. He wants to go to Germany for a few days and then come to the states to visit us and his grandmother. It is a lot to cram into 14 days, but if anyone can do it, he can.

No comments: