Thursday, November 16, 2006

This Is Going To Be A Long Day, Part 3

After speaking to my BiC yesterday for about 40 minutes, I continued on with my normal day. I had lunch with several colleagues (ones who work here and one who were laid off a while back) at Desperado's Mexican Cantina. Very good food, good sized portions, and fair prices. The service, by the way is fantastic.

After the "executive lunch" (Read: Longer than the 1 hour) I got a call from my wife asking for IT help. I love her but she is not very keen on the basics. No worries, though.

I got back to the office and really had nothing of any major importance so it was very easy to leave on time. I drove home and helped my wife prepare the veggies for care group, then fixed an e-mail problem she was having stemming from Comcast removing my custom forward and placing one of their own on all the e-mail accounts and not telling us about it. My wife wondered why she had not gotten as much mail as of late. I will admit we had informed many people to use our new addresses (mistergeek.com for me and our son and gmail for my wife) but many are slow to change. Again, no worries.

After fixing the mail issue, I logged some bills and put the veggies into a casserole dish to take to the Ben and Darlene's house*. Were in the middle group to arrive...not early but certainly not late. The group was too big to manage properly in a house (17-18 people...yikes...just like the old days!) but we muddled through it. We had a good deal of fun and cracked on each other like we did before we divided the group in two. It was fun and the lesson was good...it was on accountability. We discussed AP (accountability partners) but our minster who was in attendance had informed us that AP's were not really biblical...it was an American idea derived from scripture. I think I need to ask him if that is such a bad thing or not. e began to discuss it, but we ran out of time.

We left at 9:30 and got home a couple of minutes later (Ben and Darlene live acrossed the main road from us..you have to drive a zig zag pattern to get there. I bet it is only 150 yards away as the crow flies). We got home and walked the little man around the block. We would taken the Golden, but she has been limping and the vet wants us to keep her from using the leg until she knows what is wrong.

After a very cold walk (cold for Texas...upper 30's and windy) we came home, changed into warm jammies and watched Jericho on CBS. My wife and I still enjoy watching it. It really keeps our attention.

About 11:30 or so we finally hit the hay. I woke up a bit tired a few minutes before the alarm went off (what is this, 3-4 days in a row now?) and waited for it to sound before I took little man for his morning walk. I had a confcall at 7 AM but my wife was already getting the dog's food together by the time I got back. She is sweet. A shower, coffee, breakfast, and some bible time rounded out my agenda before the confcall.

The confcall was uneventful, no stumbling blocks to report. I gave my little bit and then we discussed an ongoing issue with hard drive failures. This issue has even affected me...I lost a hard drive a while back on my work PC.

After the meeting had adjourned, I grabbed my gear and headed to work. I was going to do some updates from home, but out ticketing system via the VPN was horrible, so I gave up and came in. I am a bit run down, but I am sure I will make it. At least tonight I have no major issues to deal with. I have to send out an e-mail to the last remaining elder at our church and work on getting my e-mail client configured on my laptop since I am getting closer to using it full time (More on that in another post.

After this day is over with, it is all down hill...for a few days at least. From here on out, only Wednesday and Thursday will be areas of concern...the rest of the week will be open. I hope.

*Not their real names.

No comments: