Friday, November 17, 2006

Winding Down? Not Quite.

My day went pretty well after I got to work. Nothing major happened but we did have over 200 account maintenance requests in the Unix queue. While I do not do that work anymore, I still help manage the queue for them. Of course I received some perverse pleasure in sending all those to Malaysia...well, they have our jobs now...so I guess they have to do them.

At lunch time I went to Sears to pick up some Levi's 550 jeans that were on sale. At $27 a pair, I got two (after trying them on..I am a little bigger now... 33x32 fits well) and was in and out of Sears in 20 minutes. I was able to eat lunch, buy jeans and do a crossword puzzle in 63 minutes. Not bad.

After lunch I updated my time sheet and checked on some documentation that had been updated. MY wife called from work to remind me that we were dog sitting Jimmy and Collette's dog, Jazzy this weekend and part of next week and also that she wanted to grab some dinner out. We agreed on Taco Cabana and after I let the dogs out (once I got home) since I would get home before she could. After feeding them and letting them out to do their business, I went to have dinner with my wife.

The meal was good, like it usually is. Taco Cabana has the best Mexican fast food I have ever had. My wife said she had to stop by the vet to get some NSAID's (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug) for our Golden who has been limping a bit. She went her way and I went mine.

I got home and washed the dishes and by that time my wife had made it home. She still needed to call Collette to find out when they were coming over to drop off Jazzy so She did that and I went to update the hand me down (Code name - hockey-puck) so I could leep all my mail on it. After a brief update, it was ready. I only have to get my bookmarks updated and I think I am ready to move away from the main machine on Linux for a while. It might get updated, maybe not. I am not really worried at the moment. Once I get a car charger for it, I will be very close to to 100%.

Jimmy and Collette (as well her daughter Sandra) arrived with Jazzy about 7:30. We put our dogs up so Jazzy could get acclimated to our house while Collette assembled the crate. Once that was all done, coffee and tea were served to our guests. Jimmy has a Bluetooth enabled PDA so we tried to get it to talk to hockey-puck, but no luck. It could be a Linux thing or it really could be broken. I need to research a bit more.

Our guests stayed until about 9:30 or so and told us they needed to get home and pack / sleep. Sandra was sad that Jazzy was not going to be with her, since they sleep in the same room, but both will survive.

After they left we let the dogs socialize and then we took them for a walk. Jazzy has not been leash trained yet (she is two years old) and at 60 lbs is a handful. She did not do well on the walk while on the leash but we survived. A short walk with Jazzy pulling the entire way is harder than a long slow walk with our dogs.

Jazzy was put up for the night as my wife and I got ready to hit the sack. Jazzy started to whine a bit (she is not used to sleeping by herself) but a firm yet gentle reprimand from my wife stopped that. Sleep came and I did not stir until a few minutes before the alarm went off. Yes, I was awake again before the alarm...a new record!

I got up and Jazzy started whining...I wanted to get her out before she made a mess (and I did) and I wanted to get our two dogs out as well. The Golden and Little Man went out and did their thing and when the Golden finished, I let her in after wiping her down. I then got Jazzy (who ran right out the door) leashed and we headed out for a brisk walk to the school yard to let Jazzy run.

I took Little Man and Jazzy with me and it was a hard walk. it may have only been a 1/2 mile walk (round trip), but it took 30 minutes with Jazzy. She had a blast running around the yard and we happy to be free. After a couple of minutes of exuberant frolicking, I leashed her and headed back. When we got back, wiping her down was a real struggle, but I finally finished that task. My wife was up and prepared the dogs food and after they ate, Jazzy settled down a bit. I brewed a small pot of coffee (2 cups) and chatted with my wife while I drank it. I got it strong enough, but too sweet. Well, that does not happen often, so I forgave myself. After coffee I had my bible time and got a shower.

After my shower, I ate and checked mail...nothing pressing so aftert I ate, I washed the dishes (breaking a second Star Trek: TOS glass. Two down, two to go...how depressing. Well, I have had them 11 years. It was bound to happen sooner or later. Besides, my wife has broken a few of the other glasses including one of her favorite Tigger glasses. I guess that is just the way things are.

With the dishes and breakfast out of the way, I brushed my teeth and hit the road. I left the radio off and did some alone time with God...it just felt like the thing to do today. Sometimes I get that way...it just depends on what is going on in my life.

I got to work and noticed my boss was here before me...that is a rarity lately. I also realized that the BiC I have been talking to has not called in a couple of days...I need to check up with him.

Today should be mostly painless. Saturday I have the men's breakfast at church and I need to help my wife with the hedges in the front. They look horrible. My fault, but we only have so much time/daylight in a day, right?

No comments: