Monday, November 13, 2006

Runaway Dreams Are In My Head

The other day I had a dream about a person whom I go to church with. Now the dream was very vivid and I can still hear snippets of conversations that I had with that individual. Now the odd thing about this dream was the person in it was acting like someone else that I know from church, a person who I converse with several times a week. Now at first, I did not realize that the person I had dreamed about was acting like the other person whom I know rather well. It was not until I was telling my wife about the dream that the connection was made...and it was made by her.

I believe this is what is know as transference and now that I think about it, it was a strange dream.

Have I lost you on this? Okay let's pretend you have a couple of friends, Bob and Tom. Now one night you have a dream that you and Bob are discussing his new business. Bob looks like Bob, sounds like Bob and has Bob's mannerisms, but the topic (and the circumstances surrounding it) you are discussing is not something that Bob would do...it is more like what Tom would talk about. Or if that is hard to grasp, imagine talking to Tom, but Tom looks and acts like Bob, but with the issues of Tom. Easy, eh?

I know, too much gray matter on a dream. Well, at least I know why I had the dream...and that did not take much gray matter at all. I basically took the skills of Bob and merged them with the problems that Tom is having. Both are people I speak with on a regular basis so their mannerisms are very much fresh in my mind.

No comments: