Sunday, November 12, 2006

It Has Been A Day ... Really

I woke up sore from sleeping at odd angles and not sleeping with my orthopedic pillow between my knees. For some odd reason, I just was not able to stay in the proper sleeping position. I got plenty of sleep and other than being sore, I felt pretty good. Needless to say I took my Aleve (I am back on Aleve therapy for a week to reduce some swelling in my lower back) and along with a nice relaxing walk with little man and some French Roast / Kona blend (my own combo) coffee, all was well.

I got ready for church and made it to Sunday school early enough to help set up tables and chairs for the class that has mostly seniors in it. I was told by Ann Reagan that her husband's back was doing much better after he started his Aleve therapy and that made me very happy. He was in so much pain it hurt me to see him.

My class that I attend was pretty empty...just me, the teacher and his wife. It was a good class that made me think a little (which is what both he and I want) and I was eager to share what I learned with my wife at the appropriate time.

On the way out from class I ran into the one of the people that my wife and I council now and then and she looked like she needed to talk so both my wife and I talked to her. We chatted until service started and then I noticed my son standing in the fellowship hall in his ACU's. He looked good. He gave me a hug and we walked into the sanctuary. It was the first I had seen him other than the brief chat we had Friday when he arrived at DFW from Kuwait.

The service was good, as usual and when it came to our time of prayer, I asked my son to come and let me and my wife pray for him. We had just started to pray for him when a small group of people gathered around and laid hands on us and joined us in asking God for protection for our son and peace in spirit for us. We were all in tears before it was over.

When the service was over we were stopped by at least a dozen people before we could finally leave to go to lunch. I did not want to be rude, but it was a time for us to be together as a family. I knew that people wanted to see my son, but I think I deserved the right to be selfish with my son while he was with us.

We left and headed to a new restaurant in town that we thought our son would like ... Sugar Babies BBQ. It was not quite as good as the first time we went, but it still was quite acceptable. Also the fact that they gave my son a 50% discount on his meal did not hurt, either. After getting our fill of pulled pork, brisket, and sausage, we left for some Starbucks coffee.

After coffee and a brief ride home, I got my camera and got several pictures of our son, my wife and the pets in various combinations. Most turned out pretty good but the one pic my wife took of me and our son makes me look old. Ok, so I am old, but I do not have to look it.

Our son was looking a bit tired and asked if we would take him back to the hotel. I was feeling sad because I realized this most likely will be the last time I get to see him until he comes back on his two week furlow in the summer. We got him back to his hotel and hugs were exchanged. We drove home, mostly in silence. Both of us had a lot on our minds.

About 6 PM or so my wife and I took a walk, getting some much needed exercise. Both of us were pretty emotional and on edge, causing us to be a tad terse with each other during the walk. I did my best to diffuse the situation, but we were too close to the issue to really be rational. By the time we got back home from the walk we were better, but you could tell we still had a lot on our mind.

After we got back, I e-mailed one of the pics I took to members of the church family as well as moving pictures from the camera to the PC ... I was a bit behind on this task. To be honest, I am behind on a lot of computer tasks, back-ups mostly. I hoe I can take the time to do that soon. I would hate to lose any data because of my carelessness.

No comments: