Thursday, July 12, 2007

Texas Flood

My drive home yesterday was...interesting. The sky to the north (the direction I was traveling) was black. Lightning flashed, thunder rolled, and the rain came down in sheets. Traffic was slower, but that was to be expected. Drivers forgot to follow the basic rules of the road and near misses were common.

When I was about 4 miles from home, just 3 major intersections from home, two teenage boys ran across the street ahead of me, trying to beat me across the intersection. The rain was heavy and I did not see them until it was almost too late, but I was able to slow down in time. Just about then, one of the boys slips and falls in the road...I narrowly missed him. Ah, the ignorance of youth.

Once home, I was greeted by my wife who was cooking dinner (it was something she just through together, but it was good). She informed me the power had been out three times in the past hour. Not fun when your house is mostly electric.

After dinner, I cleaned up (as per our agreement) and then I walked Little Man. The walk was comfortable...no mosquitoes to bite and annoy me. We were gone about 20 minutes.

Once back, I started to watch UFC 73 that had been recorded. It was not bad...the talent pool was deep but because the fighters knew each others abilities, the pace was slow at times. The Sean Sherk/Hermes Franca fight was one of my faves.

After the MMA action was over, I went to bed. I could have stayed up and worked on my Sunday school lesson, but I had the first part done and unless I go over the chapters, I do not need to do any more this week.

I woke up felling pretty good with the exception of a slightly stiff back. I was not too worried since it usually loosens up as the day goes on.

The weather is cloudy and it appears another storm is coming out of the north. While it looks like it will not last long, it looks like it will be fierce. I think we have only had about 7-10 days without rain in the past 60 days. Eerie.

No comments: