Friday, July 20, 2007

The Hurting

I was pleasantly surprised to have a day that was headache-free. I have had the same headache (in varying degrees of intensity) from Sunday evening to Thursday morning. It was getting just a tad annoying. It changed locations several times and came on from mild to "please kill me now" at different times...Wednesday night being the worst. I have been having these every now an then and I thought it was just severe sinus headaches, but sinus headache medicine rarely worked. Then I thought it was a stress/tension heachache, but Tylenol did not work (unless I took double dosages). My wife and I are convinced that it was a Migraine headache. TOday I feel okay. There is a little pressure (that part is sinus) and a little pain (stress) but nothing like before.

Yesterday went well overall with one exception. The ongoing server restore/data restore still was not solved. people were still missing data and the lack of concern that the team in Malaysia appeared to have was really getting on my nerves. Finally, after several con-calls (conference calls) with the techs involved, we think we have all the data. I am waiting on customer feedback.

Since my wife was working, I just made a couple of wraps for dinner, after I took care of the dogs. When my wife got home, I washed the dishes and decided to work on a few things in my office.

The night was uneventful...no calls, although I made a few to make sure things were done with the restore. Instead I walked the Golden (Little Man has chewed the paw pads off three of his feet...he suffers from separation anxiety) and decided to give AVS (Active Virus Scanner, a Kapersky tool) a try. I have been a fan of Anti-Vir for years, but I am getting tired of the nag screen to buy the full blown suite...something I do not need. So I downloaded the AVS tool, uninstalled Anti-Vir, rebooted, installed AVS and .... no internet connection. I at first thought the cable modem or router was acting funny, so I rebooted them, then I realized I was still logged on to my work PC and it was working just fine.

I figured the AVS tool did something to my TCP/IP stack, so I ran the netsh winsock reset command but that did not do any good. I removed the AVS, rebooted, and ... my internet connection was back. Hmmmm. Well I was not going back to Anti-Vir, so I installed AVG, the client I had running on my wife's (now defunct) laptop. It installed perfectly and I was back in business. Since my wife is now using the main machine, I had to log on as her to make sure everything worked, and it did.

With all that done. I went to bed.

I woke up well before the alarm went off but laid in bed until it did, simply because I needed the rest. I got up and attempted to walk Little Man (a dog limping on three legs is an odd site. It took 20 minutes to walk half a block but he finally peed. Once I got back in and let the Golden out to do her thing (Mrs. Gee would walk her later) both dogs were anxious to eat and drink some cool water. The morning was rather humid and they are not humid weather dogs.

After the normal routine (slightly truncated to allow me to get to work by 7:00 AM) I left and went to work. When I arrive, nothing new had happened, so I took the opportunity to read the news, commnentary, and blog a bit.

No comments: