Friday, July 27, 2007

Talk To Me

Four years ago when it was announced that support for our customer was split between us and our fiercest competitor, I knew this was not going to be smooth sailing. We are in charge of the hardware, the operating system, and the local network while our competitor is in charge of the software. The biggest challenge now is communication. We cannot get them to update us on the status of issues.

Let me backtrack a bit. Not only are we in charge of the previously mentions items, but we also "own" I/T, meaning if it goes down, we are respond and are responsible...even if we are not the ones who will fix it and even if the group repairing the issue is hired by the customer. Sounds fun, doesn't it?

The past few days we have been tracking an issue that was assigned to the third party who does software support (at the behest of our customer). Their ticketing system talks to ours and vice versa. If they update their ticket, we see those updates. The problem the past few days has been that the TPC has not updated the ticket at all. The only notes are from me and my colleague. This causes a bit of a problem since all high severity cases are to be updated on the customer web site and normal intervals if the TPC's cannot give us updates, we cannot update the customer.

This morning, after noticing that the ticket had not been updated (even though the TPC's help desk said it would) in over 24 hours, I fired off a rather scathing e-mail to the folks at the TPC, CC'ing our local management. I am sure there will be something said (most likely to me) about this.

Pray for me.

No comments: