Thursday, July 19, 2007

Getting Out Of Hand

It is no secret that I am an MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) fan. I like watching anything I can get my hands on (WEC, IFL, Bodog, UFC, and WCL -- although WCL is not MMA). I cut my teeth on old DVD's of the UFC (Tank Abbot, Royce Gracie, Phil Baroni, Cabbage, Frank Mir, etc) and really enjoy the maturity of the sport. MMA is my vice.

However, the news of rampant drug use is bothering me. Today, UFCJunkie.com is reporting that Hermes Frank and Sean Sherk both tested positive for illegal drugs. Both are being suspended for one year and that is gonna hurt both of them.

Franca and Sherk are not alone. Marvin Guillard tested positive for cocaine and MMA Weekly has reported:

* Nick Diaz, Diego Sanchez and Joe Pearson have all tested for marijuana.
* Tim Sylvia, Josh Barnett, Stephan Bonnar, Kit Cope and Vitor Belfort have all tested positive for steroids.
* Kevin Randleman was suspended by the NSAC for providing fake urine for his drug test, due to his taking banned painkillers and antibiotics for a severe lung infection he was battling.

Is it ever going to end?

No comments: