Monday, July 09, 2007

Sick Of It All

My TL called in sick...a rarity for him. He called me just as I was pulling into the parking lot. In my rush to get in and get set up, I whacked my book bag on the door frame...by the grace of God my PC booted up.

Lessee...oh, Bodog was pretty good on Friday night...two fights, one good, one left me a bit miffed. One of the matches had a former WWE "star" competing and he won...my fear is that more WWE guys will attempt to make the transition and will turn MMA in a circus.

In between bouts and during commercials, I checked the live updates of UFC 73. Sean Sherk defended his title as did Anderson Silva...both are very,very tough. Methinks that both will hold the belts for a while unless an injury occurs in the ring.

Sunday started like any other Sunday. I completed my routine, went to church and taught my Sunday School class, and then attended service. Our Worship (music) leader, "Jay" play a very rocking version of "Better is One Day"...reminded me a bit of Kutless. I told him that and he looked puzzled, so I guess he is not a Kutless fan. I asked him to look into performing "Strong Tower" at a later date and he said he would check into it.

After service, my wife and I went to a local Chinese fast food place and ran into "Toby", the son of a Nigerian Bishop our church supports. We asked if he would like to join us and he graciously accepted. We chatted for a while about his plans for medical school and after we wore out that subject, he asked me when I was going to Nigeria to speak to his people regarding the importance of IS/IT and good Christian values that can be applied in that field. I was bit overwhelmed by his request. I had considered going to Nigeria before I had my back surgery to help with a little manual labor, but after I found out the extent of damage to my back, I decided not to go. Then, our preacher, "Pastor Rob" asked me to go over and do a "train the trainer" session for computers. The areas we would be ministering at have smart people, but they have no formal training. Even though I am not a certified trainer, I have done some adult training in the past. "Pastor Rob" told me that he appreciated my dedication and wanted me to go. Armed with that knowledge, I had planned on going this year witht he Nigerian team, but finances kept me from going. Now that "Toby" has pressed the issue, I think I need to concentrate on going with the next team. There are too many signs from God for me to ignore.

After lunch my wife and I went home and let the dogs out, then we took our obligatory Sunday nap. It was one of the most restful naps I have had in a while, and I was very well rested for th evening service at church.

The service on Sunday night is only held once a month and it is dedicated to prayer. out of a 2 hour service, 1/2 hour was for music, one hour for a sermon, and 1/2 hour was dedicated to prayer. The sermon was delivered by our missionary to Indonesia and at the conclusion of the service, he passed out some small gifts from his travels. I graciously accepted some Sumatra coffee beans and some Indonesian hot sauce.

We got home and I decided to walk Little Man before any storms hit. It had been dry for a couple of days but I knew that eventually we would get a storm. It had been thundering all afternoon.

After returning, we watched a little TV, but soon I grew tired, so I went to bed. I slept very well.

I woke up very fuzzy headed, but since I did not have to go in until a bit later, I had time to clear the cobwebs out and do some of my normal routine (like wash dishes and put away things) that I have to forgo when I am on call.

Once my normal routine was complete, I packed up my gear and headed to work. With the call from my TL/colleague informing me he is taking the day off, I will being flying solo.

Still much better than the old role.

No comments: