Thursday, April 05, 2007

Stand Or Fall

By lunchtime yesterday, things appeared stable. The issues were being worked on and nothing appeared to be spinning out of control. Since things were looking up, I decided to take lunch.

The weather has been cooler after the storms marched through North Texas. My sinuses are giving me a bit of problems, but not too many. Since it was not hot outside, I took part of my lunch out of my office, reading a bit while reclining in my truck. I was about 15 minutes into a new chapter when my mobile rings. It appeared to be a US number, but not local. As usual, I answered it. It turns out it was our customer's esc mgmt asking to have an issued elevated. I was curious on why I was called, instead of the customer calling the help desk and having them raise it. The customer told me he was having trouble getting the issue raised. He asked me if I would look into it and I told him I would. Of course I was at lunch and informed him of this and he told me, "please finish your meal...while this is important, I know that breaks are not common for you. If you can look into this within the hour it would help." He told me not to call him back unless there was an issue with raising the case.

I got back to the office a bit later and contacted the global inc mgmt. They informed me they were aware of the issue but had not updated the threat board yet because they too, were very busy. The technician had been notified and that was the most important thing. Since the issue was being looked into, I continued on with my day.

Issues continued to rise and fall all day long and by the time I left for the day, we had four open issues that I could be called upon to react to. I prayed for the best and went home.

When I got home I found the slimline battery that I had ordered for my wife's old Toshiba Tecra 9000 had come in so I popped it in the laptop and began the charging process. My wife had asked me that morning if I would install the Palm Desktop software and sync her PDA to the laptop instead of the desktop we used to share. I told her that I would when I had time. Now looked like as good as time as any so I began. When she got home from working out, I snagged her PDA and did the initial sync. All went well (all except one event that was a typo...I quickly corrected that) and I kept her PDA on the cradle to charge. I tested it and it looked good, so I powered down. I told her not to use the laptop until the slim battery had fully charged, indicated by the orange light going out. She agreed and we let the unit charge while we were at care group.

Our Care Group was not meeting because of conflicting schedules, so we went to another nearby (there are two within 5 miles of our house). We brought a salad, which is something my wife could eat every day. We used good greens (no Iceberg lettuce for us) and it was a big hit with everyone.

The fellowship was good, We discussed three verses of Scripture, James 1:19-21, which talks about listening more and talking less. I know there were a lot of people besides me that needed to hear that message. There were three of us who commented that talking a lot gets them in trouble (Can I get an AMEN?) and we prayed for the Holy Spirit to move us to listen more. It really was quite powerful.

After Care Group was over we went home and let the dogs out. I got back first (Little Man did not seem to into the walk), turning around after he did his thing. I started washing the few dishes that were there and then when my wife returned, we watched Jericho which we had taped (no, we still do not have PVR...monthly costs just cannot be justified yet) earlier. After that, it was off to bed. I was exhausted.

I woke up at 4:30 thinking it was much earlier. I was really tired and wanted to sleep, but could not. 5:00 AM, my normal wake up time, took much longer to arrive than time would account for. Once I got up and started my routine, I still had troubles...I was and still am very tired. I still have a long day (eye doctor appt and city council meeting) but I think that my Friday is mostly clear. Saturday is scheduled to be cold and rainy but we are supposed to meet with Mickey and Mary for dinner that day anyway and I have a haircut appt in the morning. Sunday is of course "Easter" (we call it Resurrection Sunday since "Easter" is mostly a secular term nowadays) and other than service and dinner out, I we have nothing else planned. Maybe I can catch up on some sleep.

So far the day looks okay. There are issues but I am not sure how they will affect me. We keep getting global issues popping up and while most have been solved we still have two that are open. One is a few days old and the other is new. I am so weary of this. God, give me strength.

No comments: