Saturday, April 21, 2007

Nothing Runs Like A Deer, Part 1

A feisty fawn, that is! Last night I decided to do a distribution upgrade of Ubuntu 6.10 (edgy eft) to 7.04 (feisty fawn). I did not spend a lot of time on it but I will give you first impressions.

First, I had a power glitch last night and the installation was stopped (in a very painful way) half way through the download. I got the system back up and re-started the download /installation and noticed that it said it was updating to 6.10...not 7.04, but the files being downloaded were feisty fawn files, so I let it go. About an hour later the system was downloaded and the files were installed. I rebooted and logged back in. The desktop effects seemed a bit snazzier (but I cannot place how) but the overall speed was about the same (unlike my low end box at work that appears to run faster with 7.04). I ran localepurge to get rid of those language files I did not need (you can clear out a lot of space by doing that) and ran apt-get clean && apt-get autoclean to get rid of all the temp files. My install is still big (I run KDE and Gnome) but a bit leaner now. Sometime soon I need to decide if I want KDE or Gnome and get rid of the other. I am not a fan of many of the KDE apps, but I like the desktop more and more...almost on par with Gnome). I have IceWM at work and KDE on the laptop. The desktop has both Gnome and KDE while the server has Gnome.

I tested a few apps (mainly media files to see that they worked, removed automatix for 6.10 and installed the same file but only for 7.04 and installed a couple of the apps...all went well. I really was not in the mood to do much more so I went into the living room with Mrs Gee to watch some TV...I took the Mepis laptop with me to check news since what was on TV was not too my liking, but I wanted to be in the same room with my wife so she did not feel abandoned.

This is only part one since I have not completed my testing yet. More testing will come tomorrow since it is my day of rest.

No comments: