Friday, April 13, 2007

The Answer Is Blowin' In The Wind

You may have heard that there was severe weather in Texas (amongst other places) tonight. No less than 3 twisters set down in the Metroplex in less than an hour and hail (some as large as a baseball) peppered the rest. We escaped with minimal damage (so far...more storms are coming...) and for that I am thankful.

Work was slow today and only got interesting right towards the end of the day when an AC unit at a customer site in Virginia failed, causing the data closet to become hotter than a $2 pistol. Remote shutdown of all the servers performed and our support team in Malaysia was notified that they would use the ILO interface to bring them back up. I guess we will see. So far they have not been uber reliable.

Yesterday I was called by an HR drone asking me if I was still in the market for a job. I told her I was employed, but I was always on the lookout for a great opportunity. She told me that $Appliance/Electronics retailer was hiring sales and customer service managers and my resume looked good to them. They set up an interview and went. The entire time I drove there I had the feeling that it was a waste of time. I pulled into the parking lot (which was in an industrial area) and was even more so. I walked in and was told to fill out an application. I have not filled out an app before giving a resume in a long time...another sign this was a waste of time. The interviewer was 25 minutes late and when she finally got to me, she asked me the usual battery of questions that I answered honestly to. I felt the interview losing ground so I interjected and stated that I was under the impression I was interviewing for a customer service managers position, and she gave me a very surprised look. "We never hire managers. We only promote from within.", she stated in a matter of fact tone. She asked me how I got that impression and I told her that I was told that by the phone drone (I used other verbiage)...they were hiring sales and customer service managers. At that point I thanked her and left. I was glad it was only about 6 miles from my office. Had it been much further, I would have been a tad upset.

No comments: