Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I Am Beginning To Dislike This

I never did figure out what the cryptic e-mail meant, but I have a clue. With that in mind I am most likely going to have to change my work hours and be off of work at 6 PM instead of 4:40 or 5:00 PM. While I am not thrilled about that, I will do what is required. With that in mind, it would be nice if the calls to me stop at 6:00 PM (unless it is a local issue). I still expect to provide seven day a week coverage, but having my evenings free would help my mental state.

Speaking of schedules, our customer contacted me via e-mail 20 minutes before my "shift" was over, asking for more info on an issue. If it was that important, why didn't they call me instead of e-mailing me? What if I was not at my desk? Why is it that customers want info at the end of the business day instead of the middle? I fully understood their issue (I had the same concerns) but why wait until after most people have gone home before you raise and issue?

Working late yesterday was a benefit for my wife who was trying to get everything done before I got home. I love my wife and wish that she did not feel that she had to do everything to please me. I don't mind if dinner is not cooked when I get home. If she has been busy doing a zillion different things and did not have time, I am okay with a sandwich...really!

I got home and ate a quick dinner (Super Nachos and tea) and walked Little Man before a storm blew in. After the dinner and walk, I helped with clothes and washed the dinner dishes. With all that done, we settled in to watch "24".

When I was done with 24, I watched UFC 70 ...which was pretty good overall. It gave me some insight on some things and even though the fights are good, the UFC President, Dana White, needs to stop the drama. It almost looks like WWE, only with real fighting. By the way, I gained a ton of respect for Machida...he really is a talented fighter.

UFC 70 was over at 11:30 PM...much later than I had expected...so I hit the sack as soon as I could get everything closed down and locked up. I was tired...more mentally than physically and I needed sleep. I knew 5 AM would come quickly so I let sleep wash over me. I do not think I woke up during the night except to move a pillow that had invaded my space.

The alarm went off and I have to admit that it confused me at first. I finally got myself together enough to walk Little Man. As I stepped outside, the humidity struck me hard...my sinuses are hurting but not bad enough for meds...yet. I needed a jacket to break up the strong winds that were blowing. They were strong enough to move trash cans around the alley behind our house.

I finished up my routine and left the house at 6:45. I know that I most likely will be here until 6 PM (unless I am blessed with a light day) but there are things that need done in the early morning I need to get to.

During my drive I opted for "quiet time" with God. I meditated on some lyrics, based on one of the Psalms ("Better is one day in your courts than thousands elsewhere") and was kinda happy that my BiC who calls me almost every morning decided not to today. Sometimes we just need to be alone with God. Back in NC, I would take long walks in the woods behind our house with Little Man when my spirit needed communing with my God. I once took a walk in the pouring rain with that dog (I did not force him to go..he seemed to enjoy it and maybe he could sense I needed him with me) and walked for a couple of hours in the stillness of the pine forests of Durham, NC. I came back refreshed, albeit very wet and somewhat muddy. My wife did not complain. She just smiled and told me to get a hot shower and she would make some decaf coffee for us.

Yeah, I am bummed, but I am not looking for sympathy or pity. All I want is some rest from the chaos. Corporate IT is beginning to lose its appeal.

No comments: