Thursday, October 18, 2007

Work From Home

My TL took the day off so that meant I was flying solo. Now I am a big boy and I can work by myself, but it is nice to have someone to talk to while you work. With that in mind, going into a mostly empty office on a nice day would be very tough to manage. My TL told me that if I wanted to work from home I could and I told him I would give it some thought.

When I got up this morning, I thought about working from home. My wife would not be in the house since she works on Thursday. I checked the ticket queue and saw that Europe had a slow day, so I figured it would be okay to WFH.

I performed my normal routine just in case I needed to go in to the office. You never know when the internet connection will fail :) . I was just getting finished when I got a call on the hotline. The issue did not seem major at first, but it was a lot bigger than initially reported. The good news it was reported early enough that the impact was minimized.

After that issue was resolved, I got another call that was related to the first one. It basically was just a customer who needed to wait until the system updated all the other servers. Once the customer waited a while, things updates and she was ok.

Working at home meant I was not glued to the desk. All my work is initiated via phone, so as long as I am within 15 minutes of my PC, I am good. With that in mind I decided to take Little Man with me to the nearby park to collect a few caches (I got two...there were two had been muggled) and let the dog explore. All in all I was gone about 1.25 hours...just 15 minutes longer than my normal lunch hour. My phone did not ring at all.

I came home and ate a quick lunch and answered a few more calls and e-mails. Nothing serious was pending so I just took care of paperwork from the morning. That took about 30 minutes.

About 2:30 PM I got bored and went over to the park across the street to place a cache that had been rejected by the geocaching admins a few days ago. I found a good spot but it may be just a tad too close. Maybe if the admins are in a good mood, they will let me keep it. If not, back to the drawing board.

I came back and watered the dogs let them go out to use the bathroom. Once they were taken care of, I got a call from our help desk regarding an issue similar to the one this morning. I called the tech who was available and within 35 minutes, he had it fixed. He had help, but he worked very quickly and efficiently. He did a good job.

After that little adventure, things slowed down and then it was time to log off and go"on call". Now I do not have to read email, or do any paper work unless I am called.

Here is to praying for a quiet night. I am sure I will get a call, but at least things are quiet now.

No comments: