Monday, October 29, 2007

Delay

I know it has been a few days since my last post and I apologize for that. For some of you that is no big deal, but to me it is. I like to try to update this daily.

Oct 25 was my last update, so I guess I will bring you up to date starting on Friday.

I have been on a mission to find 100 caches in 30 days geocaching. With this in mind, I have usually nabbed a few at lunch, and even an odd one to and/or from work. Friday I was out nabbing #91 and #92 at lunch (I researched those well so I could get them quickly) when I got a call from my TL/colleague. He had called to let me know our boss wanted me to make an off site visit to assess a situation that, to be honest, no one else wanted to get involved in. I got back to the office to get directions and eat my lunch (I usually spend my lunch hour searching for caches) and when I was finished I headed to the satellite office of our customer, which was jsut a few miles from home.

When I got there, I introduced myself and began to gather data on the situation. Long story short, our customer just bought out a company and they were in the process of migrating them to their network. Well, the PC's they were using had to run Windows XP (and not our image) so things were going to be different from the get go. The PC's were not locked down, so th the users could make whatever changes they desired even if it messed up the default or corporate settings.

The whole office was very nonchalant and laid back. People milled around carrying equipment, routers (wireless and wired) were strewn everywhere creating ad-hoc networks all over the small 15 person office. The engineers were adamant about keeping everying thing open and accessible, both in the office and on the PC. It was a techs nightmare. Thankfully the tech who was assigned to work with me was top notch.

After 3-4 hours of this, we (the tech and I) were called by the PM and told to attend a con-call with some of the mgmt staff. That con-call lasted one and half hours...time I will not be able to get back.

Once all that was done, I was able to go home and get a bite to eat and spend some time with my wife.

No comments: