Thursday, October 25, 2007

Sneaky, Cool, And A Salesman

I planted my "sneaky" cache the other day and I already have a few hits on it as well as some compliments. It seems that a few of the local cachers like my style.

The weather has drastically changed so we are getting into the 40's at night and only to the 60's during the day. I am amazed that it has happened tat quickly. We went from hot to cool in just 24 hours.

Why is it that some people have to over promise and under deliver, AKA typical sales person mentality. I am not trying to be mean, but most sales people I have met will take this route and it is the support people who pay the price.

Yesterday the PM and my boss call me up asking for "a favor". They need someone to go over to a new site and help out with the cut over. I ask what needs to be done and they both tell me (initially) that they need a person who is good with people and has great process knowledge. Well, to be honest, my TL / colleague is better in that area than I am so he tells them he will go.

Fast forward about 1.5 hours later. I have just opened a high priority ticket but since I am not on call, I have to pass it off to the on call guy, who happens to be in Brazil. I get this done and head down to the PM's office and she is on the phone, leaving a message to my colleague / TL telling him to show up at 10:00 AM not 8:00 AM. PM and I talk for while and I soon realize that my TL / colleague is not going to have fun doing this. I consider calling him and telling him what he is facing but I decide not to.

Later that night, I get a call from him and he tells me that he does not have to go. It seems our customer is very much against the dedicated onsite help...it costs extra and they don't want to pay it.

This is a pattern I see around here. People want to promise the moon and deliver the rocks.

No comments: