Tuesday, October 02, 2007

My Turn To Be Shocked and Awed

*** KD and Rycherox...do not read this until you have talked with Stupid Bill. You may want to hear all this from him first. You have been warned. ***

Previously I mentioned that I was trying to get into contact with "Stupid" Bill, one of the original BSOB members. I had tracked down his father and gave him my contact info to pass along to Bill. Well, last night about 9:00 PM I received a call from Bill. It was like stepping into the "way back machine". SB has not changed a bit. I do not think I have heard that much conversational swearing since "Scarface". Really.

To bring you up to speed, SB moved from WV to Georgia with his wife. SB was a workaholic at times and this put a strain on his marriage. Over time, his wife left him for another man (whom fathered a child with her), contracted an incurable disease, and then after all the pieces fell apart, wanted to reconcile. SB stated he was not inclined to take her up on her offer, so he moved to Indiana (financially ruined). SB worked for FedEx at one of the airports and then moved back to WV for a short period of time.

After spending a little time in WV, SB moved to a small town in rural Kentucky, where he owns a farm. While SB looked like a redneck at times, I never would have guessed he would own a farm...in Kentucky no less.

SB and I chatted for about an hour, during which he brought me up to speed on a lot of things. He seemed more interesting in talking than listening (I didn't mind) and began to tell me about the changes in his life. He still drinks, swears, and chases women but now he lives and works on his farm and he hunts...A LOT.

However, the most sobering change in his life was that he was diagnosed with Lymphoma about 3-4 years ago. I do not know much about the disease, but I do know that there is no cure for it. If I understand what I am reading correctly, he is dying...though how fast I do not know.

SB went on to comment about his horse, his dogs, his family, and his many girlfriends...one as young as 24. Confidence is not something SB is lacking. You would not know he was sick by the way he was talking.

One thing SB touched on was how much he missed Carp. SB and Carp were very close (closer than he and I were), at one time being roommates until Carp got married. The both drank a lot but eventually Carp had enough partying and settled down. I don't think SB ever did.

Towards the end of our conversation, he asked if I ever went back to WV and I told him that went back every year. I told him my next scheduled trip would be in the summer of 2008 and he expressed interest in getting together on my through. No plans have been cemented, but I am hoping all four of us can get together.

As expected, SB told me I could call him anytime and gave me his number (it was on my caller ID) as well as his e-mail address. As predicted, he is not much into computers and has broken two monitors so far (he prolly threw them out a window or something similarly "Stupid") in a rage. Glad to see he is not the only MS hater out there :) .

I passed on the info to my BSOB brethren (Rychrox, Knightmare Duck, and M'Wonga) with SB's blessing. I do hope we can all meet again before it is too late. I am really going to have to pray for his soul.

No comments: