Monday, June 25, 2007

Uhhh, It's A Dodge.

We had a funny thing happen to us Sunday...our van broke down. God was good and we were close to home so a brother from church was able to come and pick us up. We tried to get a jump (it appeared the battery was dead) but it only ran for a few seconds, then it died. Rut-Roh...sounds like the alternator, Shaggy. One of the employees at the Chinese restaurant where we ate and also broke down, suggested that it was out of gear. Well, that would be fine and good but when we opened the door, the lights did not come on, the dash would not light up, etc so being in gear was most likely not the issue.

We got home and called our insurance company (we have towing included on our policy) and they sent out a local company to come tow our van to the Dodge dealership in the neighboring town. Pay attention because that point is important.

After about 1.5 hours, a polite man with a tow truck shows up and we get the van hooked up. I sign the paperwork and verify that he is taking the van to the $company Dodge dealership at $intersection. He confirms and drives off. He goes his way and I go mine. I stop at the store to get some salad fixin's for the church pot luck (Pastor's last day...retiring) and go home. I am home 20-30 minutes when my wife's mobile rings and it is the towing service. He was calling me to tell me that the closest he could get to the service department was the used car area. This sends up a huge red flag.

"Mr Gee, I have your van in the used car area of the Ford dealership at $different intersection."

I explain to him that I think he is in the wrong area and he agrees. He asks me for the address. I give him the intersection and he says he knows where it is.

15 minutes later he calls back tells me he is on his way. He gives me a different intersection than the one I gave him but he admits he misspoke.

10 minutes later he calls back again telling me that our van is at $correct_dealership at $correct_intersection (we verify this by asking him where he parked it and mentioned the rental agency on site).

The rest of the day my wife and I had a bit of fun by imitating the driver's voice and saying things like, "I just dropped you van off to $various_dealeship in $another_state". She is not as amused as I am since it is her van, not my old truck, but I think she will be okay. Just to be sure, we are calling the dealership to let them know that our van is supposed to be at their repair center and if it is not their, for them to just call around to the other branches of their dealership (they sell every make and model car/truck/van) and it will turn up eventually.

BtW, am I just out of touch or is $107.63 a lot for a 15 mile tow?

No comments: