Thursday, June 21, 2007

On Call, Day Three

On call report...no high priority cases were called in! The only calls I received were from our off shore support in Asia. They called me twice looking for the Latin America on call. We only handle that every other weekend with n o weekday support from the US. The locals handle that themselves. Off course this could all change if we get on the one week per month on call rotation we are currently discussing. We shall see.

Overall the day went well yesterday. I got in early yesterday (as well as today) with little impact on our home life. I finished my report by 10 AM and the rest of the day was quiet...probably building up to a heavy week soon. We usually have a week or two of chaos (or so I am told) for every two weeks of calm.

I left at 4 PM, the usual departure time for the on call person. On my way home, my wife called and asked me to pick up a pizza from Hungry Howie's since they were having a special grand opening price on a large (up to) five topping pizza for $7.99. I was able to leave here, go pick up the pizza, go home, and get logged in before I took handover to go on call. Oh, the pizza was not great...palatable, but not tasty. We will not be going back.

My wife had been busy all day with laundry and dog grooming. Our Golden was pretty shaggy and it took 4 hours to properly groom her (it would have taken less, but we all need to stop to use the toilet, let the dogs do their business, and other minor interruptions) and while we could pay someone to do it...my wife does a better job and it does not cost us anything more than her time. That is the trade off of taking care of dogs.

We ate our bland pizza (you had to look very closely to see the 'shrooms and sausage...they were tiny and in small amounts) and chatted for a while, catching up on each other's day. We cleaned up the mess and my wife and I took a break to watch a little "How It's Made" on Discovery. Once that was over and since I had not gotten any phone calls (yet), I took Little Man for a walk while my wife bathed The Golden. I got back about the same time she got finished.

Shortly thereafter is when I started getting calls for Latin America. I would not have minded as much but the young man on the other end of the call would not let me give him the info...he kept interrupting me. His impatience was beginning to make me snappy (my wife commented on that which made me realize I have to work on that more) and it took several minutes just to give him two phone numbers (which were repeated three times). Thankfully he only called twice, 20 minutes apart.

WEC WrECkage was not on as usual, only "Tap Out", the reality show based on it. I am not a fan of reality shows, especially ones with characters named, Mask, Punkass, and SkySkrape (who wear underwear on his afro). Maybe this is humorous to some, but the only good part of the show is the last 15 minutes when they show the fight the rookie competes in. Other than that, it is purely juvenile IMHO.

Since nothing was worth watching, I grabbed the laptop and browsed the web and checked e-mail until I was too tired to stay awake. Sleep came quickly.

No comments: