Friday, June 22, 2007

The Difference Between

I was comparing/contrasting my new job role with the old one and I think I understand why I am less stressed (and somewhat (although not entirely) enjoy this one. It actually comes down to two things.

The first thing is on call. With the old role, I was "always on". but with the new one I am on call two work weeks and one weekend every month and that may get better if my TL and our manager can get things moving with the LA (Latin America) support team.

The next, and equally important is the fact I have a mentor. My TL/colleague and I are a two man team. He is patient and collected with his words and actions and he never makes me feel stupid when I ere. I cannot stress how important that is to my style.

If I had to say anything "negative" about the situation is that he sometimes grabs things without giving me the opportunity to do them myself. Usually it is the complex issues (such as SAP which has multiple interfaces) but he has jumped in once or twice on the run of the mill issues as well. I noticed that and walked over to his desk to look over his shoulder as he was making notes so I could learn from him.

The other negative is being on call which I am not a fan of, but it is a necessary evil at the moment. I would like to have our 24 hour team in Europe (since the account is a European account) pick up the calls after 5 or 6 PM our time if at all possible but with the amount of work they do around the clock that would be a bit unfair without increased staffing and we know that is unlikely.

All in all this is better for me than what I was doing before. As long as things run normally, I will be off call tomorrow at 8:00 AM and I have the next nine or so days off call.

w00t!

No comments: