Saturday, June 16, 2007

Mid Weekend Update

Friday at work ended well for me. I completed all my required training, bought my wife an MP3 player as a VERY early birthday/late Mother's Day gift. Yeah, she really shocked me by wanting one. She told me a year or two ago that it was a waste of money. I was blessed when I got this because Fry's had them on sale for $129.99 with a $30 rebate. Not bad for an 8 gig flash memory mp3 player with all the features it has. So after contemplating buying it, I bit the bullet and got it. I got it home and loaded it with all the songs I have ripped from her CD collection (it is a small collection...she is picky like I am) and gave it to her. She liked it immediately.

We went to bed after I was done loading it and she played with it for while and I slept all the way through the night. I woke still rather tired (I got to bed at 11:00 PM) but coffee and a short walk with Little Man (who has started chewing on his paws due to his separation anxiety) corrected that. Little Man did not want to walk because his paws were RAW from his constant chewing on them when we leave. We have an e-collar (AKA "the lampshade") but he cans still reach his paws. I feel sorry for him...he is old (13 years dog / 80 something human) and is really showing it. This past year has been hard on him...he has aged so much in such a short period of time. I once thought that he would outlive The Golden (she is 7 years old) but now I am rethinking that prediction. I have a feeling that we are going to have to put him down with 12 months if things do not improve. He reminds me of a person who self-mutilates for attention.

After switching up my morning routine some, I went to the Men's breakfast where we served the youth attending their "boot camp". Many of us wore BDU's (some civilians call them "fatigues") and it was fun to cook and serve them. The number of men that attended was very low...eight to ten or so...but it was enough. I did my customary duty of breaking down tables and washing all the dishes and was out by 10:00 or so. The amount of help I received cleaning up was pretty minor, but I am used to it and have learned to let it go. I am not going to get upset by something like other peoples willingness to serve.

I came home and realized I still had to vacuum the house and prepare my Sunday School lesson. I started reading it but soon grew very sleepy. I told my wife that I felt lazy taking a nap on Saturday but she told me to lay down and get some well deserved rest and she headed off to go serve lunch at the youth "boot camp". I think I failed to mention she was the meal coordinator this year...I was planning to help as much as I could but she knew I had stuff to do here.

After a 60 minute nap, I ate some leftover "poor man's stroganoff" and then started vacuuming the house. I pulled a lot of Jazzie fur out of the carpet (I am sure I will for a few weeks...her fur was everywhere) and the Dyson was really full...much more full than normal. I finished just as my wife was coming back home.

After I was done and my wife and I chatted, I started my Sunday school lesson while she fell asleep listening to her Zen V Plus mp3 player (I think she likes it). I finished my lesson and mailed it out to my students before I went in to wake up my slumbering bride.

I need to find out if I should go with her or not tonight to help with the last meal of the "boot camp". Most likely I am not needed but my wife never turns away free help.

No comments: