Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Office Shuffle

The facilities people finally brought me a desk for the office that my TL and I will share. With that done, all I had to do was get the security/phone guy to move my phone. Good thing I checked the LAN drops first...mine were not activated. The security/phone guy doubles as a network guy on the side, so this issue was resolved quickly.

The plan was for me to move in first, then my TL. This seemed to make a lot of sense since the hotline had to be manned every minute. I had just started moving when security/phone and part time network guy asked me when my TL was moving. S/P/PTN guy tells me that he is out of the office until next week and if my TL does not move today, then he cannot move until next week. This idea sucks and my TL does not like it. Since the hotline has to be covered and we both have to move at the same time (and since the Swede has not been removed from the hotline yet), we enlist the Swede to cover the phones for a couple of hours. He does so without complaining until we get moved in.

The office is not too bad. We both had to give up our window offices but that is to be expected. The bigger window offices are for mid to upper level managers and the ones that are not taken have horrible cell phone coverage. We settled on one that gives so-so coverage for me and good for my TL. Actually it is the same size and the office I had when I was with the Unix group...I get half of this one just like I got half of that one (the other half of the Unix office was a lab).

I turned in my old office key and was given two for my new office. I gave one of them to my TL and we were finalized.

It is going to be weird for me to share an office and work more in a line type organization...I seem to jump back and forth from coming and going when I want to having a set schedule. The best part of this is the scheduled time off. While being on call every other week is not something that I am looking forward to, at least I only have to be on call during the weekends once a month.

I started thinking back and counting how many offices/desks I have had since I came to this shop. There was the first office, then a seat in the NOC. I moved from lower to upper row in the NOC, then to another office. I moved from that office to the office/lab then back to an office on the other side of the building. Today I moved again. Seven desks in six years. and with that eight job roles in the same time span. Incredible.

No comments: