Thursday, March 01, 2007

24 Hours Of Odd

The past 24 hours have been odd. Work was very dull after the one meeting I had at 10 AM. Nothing interesting happened except that I found out that our off shored support (in Malaysia) decided to change ownership of / on a few Solaris boxes to the ID of my old Team Lead...it appears that they un-tarred a script in / and ran it from there. Color me stupid but I run most everything from /tmp but I realize I am not really a unix admin...but I used to play one on TV.

Later in the day I found out that my son the soldier has started posting on the CoG. I am not sure if many there realize he is my son, although I know that Angie is aware of it. I just hope he learns things better than me about what he can say and who he can say it to. Although it is odd to see him posting, it is good to hear from him again.

I got home and found a note from my wife instructing me to handle a couple of things for her before she came by to pick me up for care group. The tiny list did not take long so I handled a few bills and checked my e-mail and read the snail mail.

My wife picked me up and I found out that care group was going to be limited to just 2 couples, us and the Care Group leaders. When we got there, the wife of the leader had stated she was not staying...she had a free ticket to go see Eric Clapton and planned on using it. So care group was just me, my wife, and Jimmy.

The meal we had was okay (but horribly salty), but the name of the main course was a bit misleading. The main course was prepared by one of our more "senior" (Read: Older) members of the care group and was called "Mexican Trash Casserole" . This was misleading because it was just a big pot of queso with seasoned ground beef that you put on tostada chips...poor man's nachos to me.

The lesson that was planned was snubbed by my wife so we did an impromptu read on the book of James. I am not entirely sure why, but I was very tired and I asked if we could end the evening early. Thankfully we all agreed.

I got home and walked little man while my wife took care of the Golden. The Golden is doing better and is trying harder to get us to play with her. Of course we would love to, but we know we need to let her heal before w can do that.

After the walk my wife and I watch "Jericho" and then went to bed. It was an alright episode...they are finally getting back into the story after a mid-winter hiatus. I am sure the next few episodes will have many twists and turns as some of the main characters start running into issues outside their town.


I woke up (again) about an hour before the alarm went off so I forced myself to get that last hour of sleep. I went through my normal routine but by the time I got out of the shower my wife was up and she was trying to assist. That usually does not go well because we tend to get in each other's way, so I stepped back until she was done, then I moved on.

On the way to work I stopped to get gasoline ($30.00 worth). While it was not really cold, the wind was blowing something fierce and a jacket was needed. The gas station was almost empty, which is an odd site in the morning.

I was almost at work when I was cut off by a red VW bug, one of the new models. The car kept slowing down and there was a car beside me so I could not get around him. The car beside me started to speed up and the guy in the passenger seat had the window down pointing to the car in front of me. It turned out to be an unmarked police car and he wanted the guy who cut me off (not for that reason, I am sure). Oddly enough the cop who pointed appeared to be very agitated and I thought it was at me. I am not sure what I could have done any differently in the situation. It was an unmarked police car that was in my blind spot and the guy he wanted cut me off. I had very little room to maneuver. I finally let the cop over so he could get to the guy, who pulled over in an empty lot.

As I pulled into the parking lot of my building, I realized that the guy who calls me almost every morning did not call like he normally does in the morning. Another oddity.

I got into the office and after I fired up the laptop I noticed that there was no response from the former global escalation manager to the e-mail I sent her regarding my role and where it is in the new process. I am not sure if she feels that she cannot or should not answer or is she is just very busy with the transition.

Just as I started this entry the Regional Security Manager came in my office and asked me if I would consider helping him with project that will be an ongoing job duty. It is purely administrative and it sounds like I would be exposed to quite a few new things. It is a Unix based project and even though I am not strong in that, I am sure I can handle it.

So for me, the past 24 hours has been kinda odd. Not bad, just odd.

No comments: