Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I Am So Exciting...

After a very non-eventful day at work, I was looking forward to coming home. When work is boring, I tend to be more tired than if it was busy. It seems the less I do the more tired I become.

I was greeted by the tail wagging twosome, also known as Little Man and The Golden. I took them out so they could water the weeds as I made my way towards the mailbox. Only one real bill (Citibank -- about 1 year of payments on that one) and something that was addressed to me but was for my wife (insurance billing stuff...she handles that normally) and the normal Tuesday junk mail (adverts in newspaper form). The critters and I went back inside while I got their food ready (they seem to like the all natural stuff my wife has picked up for them). We have been giving them mostly dry food with just a couple of tablespoons of wet to make it enticing for them. They both scarfed it down before I could get my jacket hung up, shoes off, and backpack put away. I checked the clocked and noticed that my lovely wife would be home in about 20 minutes so I fired up the geekbox (my Linux/Win XP dual boot box) and megaserver (my very underpowered Linux server) to take care of the DST patching that needed to be done. I took care of my box at work and the (unofficial) wiki server at work and realized I had 3 at home to do. Geekbox had the patch but I had somehow messed up the timezone, so after running tzconfig, that was fixed. Megaserver was ok (not sure how I did two wrong and get megaserver right, but it is not important I guess), so I entered in the CC payment at the bank web site and then updated AceMoney. I did a quick stock update and saved that as well.

With the two main PC's done, I pulled out the laptop I have been nursing along and checkto see if that one was set correctly and it was. Okay, after 4 linux boxes (actually 5 if you count the server at work) I had 2 that had the wrong time zone set. I guess I had a brain fart or something.

I was finishing up the laptop when my wife came home. I helped her unload (empty lunch stuff, recycleables, etc) and heated up the leftover taco meat to make wraps for dinner. I grabbed the shredded cheese, tomatoes, fresh spinach, and the wraps out of the fridge while the meat was heating up. I made one for me and then my wife decided that she was hungry after all (she initially said she wasn't). She loaded up but asked me to wrap it for her since she cannot seem to wrap it tightly enough to keep it together and I complied. As we ate, she asked me how I was feeling and I told her that I felt pretty good, still tired, but better than that morning. She then handed me $50 and I just looked at her. Then I realized that the money was payment from Gus, the guy at her workplace who's PC I worked on a few weeks ago. I told him not to pay me until he confirmed it was working (it had a dial-up issue and I do not have a phone line to test with) and it is. It had a lot of problems that contributed to the dial-up issue that I took care of: TCP/IP stack was corrupt, he had 4 viruses that none of his 3 anti-virus tools caught, his updates were YEARS out of date, and he had some serious spyware. I initially was going to wipe and start over, but I thought that I could fix it and save their data, which I was able to. I offer a discount to my church family (50%) which is still lower than what the Geek Squad charges to fix stuff. They may be more professional but I can do almost as much as they can at a much cheaper price.

With dinner out of the way, I put away the laptop and washed the dogs bowls. I decided to leave the rest of the dishes until the next morning...I was just not in the mood to wash anymore. My wife started to watch some TV, then she got bored and told me she was going for a walk with Little Man and a very short one with The Golden. With her knee the Golden cannot walk much (she had the surgery less than 2 weeks ago) but she does need to keep it moving some.

While my wife was out I listened to some old school 80's rock but I kept my eye on the clock so I would not miss the start of "Law and Order" night. Two epi's air on Tuesday and I try not to miss them. My wife came back just as the first one started and we soon noticed it was a repeat. We watched it anyway since it was a pretty interesting epi about a female serial killer. When the next one came on, we realized it was a repeat as well, so we decided to read for a bit and then go to bed.

I woke up at 4:30 AM feeling much better than I have the past 6 days or so. I am still a little stuffy, but I took a Sudafed and I am beginning to feel it go to work. If all goes well and God is willing, I should be feeling great this weekend when I try to finally tackle the yard.

No comments: