Friday, March 09, 2007

Runaway Dreams

The past 24 hours or so has been interesting only because it seems my writers block has been lifted. I posted two more chapters in "Chronicles" yesterday and started another and have an idea for one more. I think the catalyst was Holmes and Knightmare Duck wanting to take the reigns on a BSOB project and that has lifted the burden from me since I did not feel adequate to handle that task.

I am learning more and more about KDE as the days go on. While many of the thins are hard to find (at least to me) overall I like what I see. I was surprised to learn that I had to remove the old printer settings and reinstall it to get it to work in KDE. I had it working just fine in Gnome. but when I installed KDE, printing stopped.

I also have an issue that I am not sure how to resolve yet regarding mounted media. When I log into KDE the first time, all my media (my 2 FAT32 drives and my 1 NTFS drive) is available. If I log off and back on (not a reboot, just a log off), the shares are still there, but they show as empty. So far I have not found an answer to this little mystery.

***Update*** It seems that when I updated to Feisty Fawn (7.04) this issue went away. Coolness

I have been trying to find a basic, simple invoicing program that runs on Linux, but most every one I have found is too big, bloated, or complicated for a small business. Since I do PC work and lawn care on the side, I need something to keep track of my invoices and I do not want to have to log on to Windows to do it. I could just do a fancy spreadsheet but I do not have the time to design one that fits my needs. So far the closest thing I have found is Gnucash, but it is still too big for my needs. From the reviews I read on the web, I thought I found the perfect choice yesterday in "Nevitium" however it was not what I needed. (Removed biased comment about Nevitium).

When I chose a program to perform a certain task, I really hate using something that is more than I need or even worse, having to use Windows to do it. Right now I can do everything on my Linux box (including invoicing if you count Gnucash) and do not rely on my Windows box for anything much anymore.

The Golden is doing very well and is able to take short walks on her new knee. It is not pain free for her, but she is not avoiding using the leg. My wife has been giving the physical therapy to the Golden on a regular basis and that has kept her a bit busier than normal.

Last night I took Little Man for a 2 mile walk since the weather was favorable and I really enjoyed it. We took our time and enjoyed the night air, which was punctuated by car alarms going off here and there. As we walked by various houses, dogs inside fences barked at me and my four legged companion. About halfway through our walk, I started thinking about people I knew during my teenage years and wondered what had happened to them. Those thoughts dominated the rest of my walk...and I am not sure why.

I read for a little while after I got home until I was too drowsy to hold my head up. I put the copy of "The Death of Innocents" on my nightstand, checked the alarm and took of my glasses. I settled in and did not wake until right before the alarm sounded at 5 AM.

After completing "the routine" I drove to work and prepared mentally for my day ahead. I realized that the guy who was supposed to train me on some security matters has been gone most of the week and is supposed to be on vacation next week. Needless to say I am not prepared for him to be gone if I am to replace him in an area or two.

On my way back from the toilet, I saw the sec mgr in his office with his head buried in work. I wonder if he will have time to get to me today or not and if he does, will that time be enough to get the gist of what he wants me to do? Time will tell.

No comments: