Saturday, March 24, 2007

All Work And No Play...

Makes El Gee a dull boy...and I hate to be too dull!

I got home from a rather boring day at work and was very happy to find Mrs Gee had cooked spaghetti and green beans for dinner. After wolfing those down, I went out to mow my neighbors (and our) yard. It took a couple of hours to mow, trim, edge, and clean up, but I was done in time to watch Carolina play USC at 9:00 PM CDT. It was a great game that gave me a new found respect for Coach Roy Williams. We were outclassed and we still pulled of a victory by 10 points.

After the game I went to bed.

I got up and walked Little Man and had my coffee and started loading Ubuntu 6.10 on my new server...the towering hulk I call "maximus". I have now retired "megaserver". The initial load (using Xubuntu) failed so I tried the regular Ubuntu and it seemed to work. The machine is up and running quite well. It still needs tweaked, but it does what I want it to, for the moment.

After maximus was loaded, I went through the mountain of very old PC parts and got rid of a lot. I smashed 3 old hard drives and put the rest of the stuff on the porch for the city to come recycle. After that chore was finished (it actually was pretty fun), I started on the dishes and the vacuuming, stopping only for lunch. With that done I took a stab at installing the Hauppage Win TV tuner in the PC. After getting it to run in Windows, I rebooted in Linux mode and installed TVTime...the only problem was setting the default device and after reading the man pages I found that I needed to alter the xml file to tell it to look for my tuner card. Once I did that, it worked. I then got the wild idea of trying to get MythTV to work, but I am having issues, so I am going to give up for now. Mrs. Gee is hungry so I better go get some food.

I guess the day has not been bad. I have worked but I also have had a bit of fun.

No comments: