Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Thanks For The Angst


While I was very tired this morning the hours went by quickly and before I knew it, it was lunch time. I nuked my food, scarfed it down, took my vitamins, and took the remainder of my Arizona diet green tea (the 42 oz size look like bourbon bottles) with me as I hopped in my truck to grab a nap. I always get funny looks when I carry that bottle around with me at work.

I moved my truck to a shady spot on the other side of the building so I would not sweat to death while I napped. After venting the windows and locking the doors (I am in the city, after all. There are some very weird people out there), I put on my shades and reclined my seat. I cat napped for about 15 minutes, checked the time and then dozed off again. I woke up with a start...I was having a dream where I was having a dream. In my dreamed "dream" the security guard at work, in civilian clothes tapped on my glass to wake me up. Waking up in the dream prompted me to wake up in reality...very freaky!

Since my dream was almost over, I decided to drive over to my building and get back to work. Things were going fine until I my work phone rang. I noticed it was an international call, I answered and it was one of the Escalation Managers from Europe. He had called to tell me of a possible escalation that I may be involved with (which confused me because it was local to Sweden) and that lead into a longer, more detailed conversation that ended with him dictating to me how things were going to be ran. I hung up with a very uneasy feeling about the future of what I do. I actually was getting angry about this...Esc Mgmt (for the America's) is a 24 x 7 job with no days off. I have no back-ups like other regions do. The people who would normally back me up are a bit too proud to answer a phone 24 x 7 and be at the beck and call of the customer. I have been working (technically) 7 days a week since November of 2006. My wife is beginning to get frustrated that I cannot be too far from home in case I do have to work on an issue. Sigh. I need a new job. Not necessarily with a new company, just one that has normal hours and reasonable pay.

Moving on...the sky outside was beginning to cloud up to the north...angry black clouds with a mild wind...a bad combination. As soon as 4:30 PM rolled around, I headed home. My wife and I exchanged phone calls and decided to meet at the 'Bell for dinner (Taco Bell, that is) but due to the heavy rains that started right before she and right after I left, she was running late. It took her 30 minutes to travel 1/3 the way home. She told me to just grab something and she would do the same. Feeling adventurous, I drive across the parking lot to Wendy's and grab a burger and fries. Note to self. No matter how much I think you enjoy fast food, my body does not deal with it very well.

I got home and decided to vacuum the rest of the house before my wife got home. I was just finishing up when she pulled in, so I put the vacuum cleaner away and we prepared to watch "Law and Order", which I found out today has been on for 17 seasons. The only longer running TV show ever was "Gunsmoke". Wow.

L&O was a repeat, so I came into the office to work on not one but three blog entries. I stop to wash a few dishes and walk Little Man and then I headed to bed. Look for the rest of those posts soon (this was one of them, and the other two were a "Chronicles" entry and one for the BSOBlog that I submitted to the guys for approval/posting).

No comments: