Sunday, March 11, 2007

Maybe Someday

Living in the area we do it is almost impossible for a day to go by and not have some lawn care company, restaurant, or cleaning service litter my porch or front door with adverts. I have come to expect this, although I do not like it. A couple of people/establishments have gone one step farther (and I need to see if this is actually legal or not) by throwing their ads in the sidewalk or grass in front of my house. Skillman Wok, a local Chinese fast food joint started this trend, and it has since been followed by two local Avon reps. I have e-mailed the Avon reps and asked them to stop doing this but the Chinese place is not going to stop by request because the dump these things everywhere and are not going to avoid my house just because I ask them not to. At least the local Avon reps have a smaller area and will try to remember to skip my house.

It is not just those two that do this...the local phone companies leave phone books by our curbside mailbox every 2-3 months. Why so often? Because we have the option of choosing any carrier we want, ALL of them compete for our business by issuing phone books. Needless to say our recycle bin gets quite full with this stuff.

One reason why this bothers me so much is that when this is thrown in the front yard or on the sidewalk of homes where the owned does not go in and out the front door (they only go in and out of the house via the garage), it stays there for weeks and makes the neighborhood look trashy. I once saw a phone book sit on the sidewalk at one home for over 2 months before I finally picked it up and disposed of it. I may live in a middle class neighborhood, but some of the people have lower class standards of living.

I am awake and not nearly as sore as I thought considering I mowed 2 yards (as well as trimmed, edged, bagged, and cleaned up) yesterday. I also managed to put down weed killer and fertilizer in our yard, although I did not have enough to do my neighbors. Oh, I also helped (some) my wife trim our neighbors bushes as well. Usually when I do that much labor when I am out of shape I can feel it the next day, but today I feel pretty good.

I am using Google Docs to type this up as a test. I hope it works/looks ok!

***Update***

Google docs did an okay job with formatting but it gave the blog post the title by using the first sentence as a subject. I guess I need to save it before I publish it :)

No comments: