Friday, March 30, 2007

Lightning Strikes

The rest of my day went pretty well. I kept busy with the security documents during the afternoon and I think I am caught up on what I need to have done...I will know more today or Monday. I did not see the Sec Mgr yesterday at all...he may have been working from home. He lives out in the middle of nowhere and the only broadband access he can get is...cellular/wireless broadband. Gasp!

I left work just a few minutes early to go home and see if I needed to help my wife move anything back after the carpets had been steam cleaned. The carpets were still damp, but we were smart and had all the ceiling fans and the AC on to pull as much moisture out as possible. Since we could not move anything yet, we decided to have some dinner at JalapeƱo's Mexican Grill on Greenville Avenue. The food is usually pretty good and the prices are fair. Service is hit and miss (Last night was okay. The server was not very outgoing, but he was prompt and polite) but generally it is a pretty good value.

While we were there, God put on quite a light and sound display in the form of thunder and lightning...some of which was powerful enough to rattle the windows of the restaurant. Long arcs of blue-white electricity raced across the sky in more of a side to side manner than the stereotypical sky to earth display that we are used to seeing. We rush homed to help comfort the dogs (The Golden hates storms...Little Man is indifferent as long as he is not out in one) and since the house was mostly off limits, we gathered in the spare bedroom (we did not do the carpet in there this time) doing little things to pass the time. I watched Battlestar Galactica on my laptop and after that was over, I chatted with Dayboy and Knightmare Duck (blog links to the right) for a while. Dakboy is worn out...he has had so much adversity the past 30 days that I am amazed that he and his lovely wife are still sane. Sicknesses, death, house issues, work issues...poor guy! I finally let him go so he could take care of feeding /changing his son...it was nice to chat with him but he needed to get back to being a father.

Knightmare Duck and I chatted for about an hour or so. He is a bit of a geek and likes talking PC's and OS's. He is also the driving force behind getting the BSOB memories preserved and organized online. A police officer by profession and a geek on the side, he also has started writing entries into the BSOBlog that have been pretty good. With some time he will be a good writer. He has a pretty good eye for parody and detail (the police work helps on the detail part I guess) and has started to show his own style. Keep up the good work, KD.

About 9:00 PM my time I signed off and went into the bedroom to read some more of Sister Helen Prejean's book "The Death of Innocents". It is getting harder to read in some spots because of the heavy Catholic overtones. No I am not anti-catholic, but the mainstream Catholic church has ideas that really do not mesh well with traditional Christianity. While her degree of detail and the imagery she provides is often very good, it is too political for me. I hurt inside to hear that innocent people have been executed for crimes that they did not commit, but that is not enough to sway me from believing that the capitol punishment is wrong.

After reading for a while and then playing so Spider Solitaire (I am so addicted to that game on the hard setting...4 decks), I decided it was time to rest. I never did take any Aleve but I was not hurting, so I just went to sleep.

I woke up and hopped up and noticed the carpets were dryer (but not 100% dry). I walked Little Man and took The Golden out to do her thing. My wife fed the dogs while I started my coffee. We moved the couch and love seat back into the main part of the house, but we put the little plastic protector squares under the legs to keep any moisture that was still in the carpet from ruining the wood and to keep any dirt from the legs off the clean carpet. After that was done I drank my coffee, checked e-mail, read my bible passages for the day (Judges 1-2), and finished my ritual before leaving for work.

I walked in an logged on the system to see that not only are there some end of month issues for our customer, but we are also having sporadic WAN issues as well worldwide, although they are beginning to slowly disappear. I would like to see this end of month go smoothly...while the past couple have not been perfect, they have been smoother than the end of 2006 was.

My back is a bit sore (go figure) so I better take a couple of Aleve. While I am up I guess I will check and see how the other guys are doing.

No comments: